Indian Runner Duck Association

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TSOWOATNKC, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    This book just arrived today. Our second eldest daughter is doing a 4H presentation on Indian Runners, so I ordered it for her research. Is anyone a member of the Indian Runner Duck Association?

Attached Files:

2. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    The most interesting thing I’ve seen so far in the book is the number of accepted colors and how they have changed historically. Initially in 1901 fawn/white and grey/white were the only colors. By 1910 it was only Fawn/white, in 1999 there were 9 colors; but no grey/white!

3. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    I am not apart of that...but I don't have runners. Looks like a good book tho. Hope it helps!

4. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    No. (do have contact with them, but not from the same country). But I do know that the duck in front would not pass European standards now-adays. So I find this interesting. Butt touching the ground is a big no-no. I suspect due to pelvic/egg-laying problems. But I am not sure. But I can imagine. You can only strech-breed a breed so much untill it is unhealthy. It is otherwise a nice addition to see how the breed changed in times (these pictures in this books are not from 2019 :p)

Cool that your daughter does a presentation on them!

5. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    The duck on the cover only has feathers touching the ground from what I see.

6. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    That is recently a big no-no. It is a big fault in shows. I can only immagine that this suddenly was stated as a 'big fault' because it might involve some serious pelvic issues.

7. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    The book is literally from the Indian Runner Duck Association in Welshpool. There are basically only 2 standards; American and British.

8. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    No, not really. The world is bigger then U.S.A. and U.K.
    And they mostly differ in colour (fawn&white) which are recognized; and not on posture.

9. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    Sure, there may be other clubs but they aren’t internationally recognized or have international participation. Much like the AKC and KC are *the* dog breed organizations and the UKC and CKC are mostly unheard of. The Indian Runner Duck Association was the first Runner Duck association just like the Kennel Club was the first dog breed association that is still in existence today.

10. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    They actually do. They are internationally recognized and are international participating.

I'm not so fond to be, again, not taking serious, because some people think only English-speaking country's do something in this world on this subject. You are offending a lot of people. Especially German Indian runner breeders, with years of work an dedication in the breed, to assume they apparently are 'just not important and recognized'.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: