Indian Runner Duck SIck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CaveLady419, Sep 1, 2016.

1. CaveLady419

CaveLady419 New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    I have a 4 month old runner duck that has stopped eating. Her poo is white and runny, and dot very often either. It is very wet here(Louisiana, in the flooded area!) and she always has her beak in a mud hole. I have her in her pin today and away from the chicks and mud holes. I put electrolytes and probiotics in a bowl of water for her. She doesn't move much at all, not quacking (she usually is very vocal). Im thinking a bacteria from all the stale water. Any ideas? She is pitiful.

2. CaveLady419

CaveLady419 New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    I put her little baby pool in the pin with her with a a couple of tbs of Epsom salts. She just sits in it and dips her beak. At least she will drink.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She very well may have a bacterial infection. Might want to pick up an oral antibiotic. When I first read I was thinking maybe a broken egg inside but at 4 months probably not laying yet my 4 month olds aren't.

@casportpony can probably help with meds.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ergency-and-supportive-care-updated-8-17-2016

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  4. CaveLady419

CaveLady419 New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    thank you! I was thinking this as a next step. Just wasn't sure if I should do Tylan or Tetracycline. I will research a bit more.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Let us know how she is doing. Is a vet an option?

6. CaveLady419

CaveLady419 New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    There is not a poultry vet around....if there is it is probably in dismay from the floods. It looks like one of my chicks has the white runny poo also. I dont know which one it is yet, they are all acting fine. One of them did have worms in the last month. I treated with Stryke III in their food. Its the only worm treatment can find that is ok to give to potential egg producing hens for human consumption.
    I will keep updates so maybe it will help someone in the future.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    9i am so sorry you all had to go through that horrible flooding. Hope you are getting things back to normal. No telling what kind of bacteria came in with the flood. I hope she gets to feeling better soon. I wouldn't put off getting an antibiotic though they can go down pretty quick once they begin to show signs of sickness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by