Indian Runner Duck Swollen Beak! HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lordofthechicks, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Lordofthechicks

Lordofthechicks New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    I haven't introduced myself, but I am in sudden need of my abandoned BYC account.
    My beloved duck, Prim, has a mysterious swollen bill. She cannot close her beak and the lump is mostly on the inside, where its leaning on her right side. I haven't been able to find a cut, and I'm hoping it's just a bee sting. Is there absolutely anything I can do? I'm reluctant to go right to the vet, as I don't exactly have the money to throw around at the moment, but all the same, I don't want my baby to get too hurt! ANYTHING WILL HELP! I don't want to do nothing and want to be sure she is alright before I push it aside, and I don't want it getting worse.
    :hit

2. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    Type in this thread swollen-duck-bill and see if this is whats happening to you duck........Sorry don't know how to post links yet.......hope this helps

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Can you post a picture of her? How quickly did the swelling appear? Can she still eat/drink?

4. Lordofthechicks

Lordofthechicks New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

Sorry, she wouldn't open her mouth wide enough for me to get a good picture. Getting this one was hard as it is (she doesn't love devices)

5. Lordofthechicks

Lordofthechicks New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    The swelling developed over the day. She didn't have it when I put my birds away last night, and it was insignificant in the morning. I was away until three o' clock, and by then it was getting larger.
    She can still eat and drink, but she is noticeably irritated.

6. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
  7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You could try putting a lentil-sized bit of benedryl cream on the outside of the bill. I use tiny bits of benedryl cream to treat bee stings on my ducks' legs. I am not a vet - but this has worked for me.

Also, turmeric is a mild anti-inflammatory. It stains, but it might be worth putting a teaspoon in a pint of water and giving her that to drink for an hour or two.

Also try putting ice in her water.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by