Indian runner duckling cough!

Mogz

Chirping
May 1, 2015
wales UK
Bought 7 indian runner ducklings on Saturday and noticed Sunday and today one has a cough. Today it was in the rabbit hutch laying down, while the other six were outside in a mini run.

They have food and a big bowl of water- they love swimming in outside the hutch. They are only about a month old hense the rabbit hutch for now to keep them safe at night.

Any advice on the cough? It worries me it was so unactive today. Thanks

Bought 7 indian runner ducklings on Saturday and noticed Sunday and today one has a cough. Today it was in the rabbit hutch laying down, while the other six were outside in a mini run.

They have food and a big bowl of water- they love swimming in outside the hutch. They are only about a month old hense the rabbit hutch for now to keep them safe at night.

Any advice on the cough? It worries me it was so unactive today. Thanks
How bad a cough? like all the time cough or just every once in awhile. Separating is going to cause alot of stress and at this point if it does have something contagious I'd say it's been around the others why stress it out more. What about a vet is that an option if your very concerned about the little one. Might want to see about an oral antibiotic but a vet could tell you which one was best if it's respiratory. Does it have any discharge from nares or eyes?What are your temps like there because even 4 week olds can get chilled if wet if the temps aren't warm enough.

@Mogz

Last edited:
Its not a constant cough, but its every minute at leas. Very noticable- the other ducks have been naturally seperate from it until i lock them in at night.

Its not a constant cough, but its every minute at leas. Very noticable- the other ducks have been naturally seperate from it until i lock them in at night.
I believe I'd take this duckling to the vet for some antibiotics probably all need to be treated if the vet says she is contagious.

iv now brought it in with me and iv noticed its not a cough as I once thought, when its calling its almost like water is in its throat. Its like when you have a cold and mucus in your throat and your voice sound bubbly- best I can explain I'm sorry! its call is now a much higher chirping pitch.

quick edit:
does have a cough! now I'm with it (cuddled up- I'm a massive sap!) it doe cough but its every 2 minutes and almost like a forced one

Last edited:
iv now brought it in with me and iv noticed its not a cough as I once thought, when its calling its almost like water is in its throat. Its like when you have a cold and mucus in your throat and your voice sound bubbly- best I can explain I'm sorry! its call is now a much higher chirping pitch.

quick edit:
does have a cough! now I'm with it (cuddled up- I'm a massive sap!) it doe cough but its every 2 minutes and almost like a forced one
It could be a respiratory thing and it will need some antibiotics to get over it.

Back
Top Bottom