Indian runner duckling cough!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mogz, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Mogz

Mogz Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    wales UK
    Bought 7 indian runner ducklings on Saturday and noticed Sunday and today one has a cough. Today it was in the rabbit hutch laying down, while the other six were outside in a mini run.

They have food and a big bowl of water- they love swimming in outside the hutch. They are only about a month old hense the rabbit hutch for now to keep them safe at night.

Any advice on the cough? It worries me it was so unactive today. Thanks

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

separate it!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How bad a cough? like all the time cough or just every once in awhile. Separating is going to cause alot of stress and at this point if it does have something contagious I'd say it's been around the others why stress it out more. What about a vet is that an option if your very concerned about the little one. Might want to see about an oral antibiotic but a vet could tell you which one was best if it's respiratory. Does it have any discharge from nares or eyes?What are your temps like there because even 4 week olds can get chilled if wet if the temps aren't warm enough.

@Mogz

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  4. Mogz

Mogz Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    wales UK
    Its not a constant cough, but its every minute at leas. Very noticable- the other ducks have been naturally seperate from it until i lock them in at night.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I believe I'd take this duckling to the vet for some antibiotics probably all need to be treated if the vet says she is contagious.

6. Mogz

Mogz Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    wales UK
    iv now brought it in with me and iv noticed its not a cough as I once thought, when its calling its almost like water is in its throat. Its like when you have a cold and mucus in your throat and your voice sound bubbly- best I can explain I'm sorry! its call is now a much higher chirping pitch.

quick edit:
    does have a cough! now I'm with it (cuddled up- I'm a massive sap!) it doe cough but its every 2 minutes and almost like a forced one

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It could be a respiratory thing and it will need some antibiotics to get over it.

8. Mogz

Mogz Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    wales UK
    ill make a visit to the vet in the morning, thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by