Indian runner duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by runners r 4 me, Feb 17, 2017.

1. runners r 4 me

runners r 4 me Just Hatched

Feb 17, 2017
    Hi brand new to this forum (or any forum, please bare with me!)
    I have been brought up with ducks, my mum owning several different breeds while growing up, a few years ago we 'fostered' 2 adult indian runner ducks and had them live in our back garden (large garden) and had a plastic paddling pool as their water pond. One of our runner ducks died a few weeks [​IMG]ago and we have decided to get a duckling (female again). We are driving 2 hours tomorrow morning to pick it up but we have never had a duckling before and are concerned about the drive, will it be warm enough with heaters full blast for the drive?! What different feed do we have to feed it as it is a duckling ( 3 days old) and what heat lamp shall we buy?! Will our lady be ok with the baby? And will it become quite tame as getting it so young? We have our ducks as pets only and doesn't matter to us whether they are good egg layers etc but thought a female would be good as previous was female. All info really welcomed!! Thank you!

2. runners r 4 me

runners r 4 me Just Hatched

Feb 17, 2017

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Unless you have a broody duck that is hatching eggs, it isn't likely the duck will take well to a duckling. You will likely need to keep them separated until the duckling is large enough to stand up to the existing duck.
    It will help if you brood the duckling in an area where the adult duck can see, but can't get to the duckling. Try some supervised time together, but be ready to quickly separate if your adult duck isn't a fan of her new friend.

if you can, you might want to pick up 2 ducklings so they can keep each other company until you are able to let them hang with the adult.

For the car ride - if you have a heat thing (corn bad/rice bag/etc) that can be heated at the place you are picking up, you will be fine. If there are 2 of you going, then just bring a few towels or paper towels and hold the little one in your hand or a shirt pocket or something.

How old is the new duckling?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by