Indian Runner Ducks- hatching eggs

mag pie

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2018
I have a year old runner duck sitting on her first clutch of eggs in our chicken coop, she seemed in everyway to be a good and attentive mom. Yesterday we heard one egg chirping and it was in process of hatching (pipped and in the process of unzipping). Came in to check about 1.5 hours later to find the little fellow within 6-8 inches from the nest and dead. :-( Fully formed, and looked normal in every way, but judging by the legs, it didn't look like it didn't even have the chance to get up and move on its own. My question- would the mom have pushed it out of the nest?? I was concerned that the other ducks might have attacked it but there did not seem to be any signs of trauma. Any thoughts??

Yes, we thought too that it might have been her inexperience . We have decided that if we hear any other peeping, it might be best to remove the eggs to the incubator and then re-introduce the hatchling to mamma later on? Thoughts? She pushed 2 eggs from the nest early on and I put them in the incubator to see if they were any good. New little fuzzy guy hatched 2 days ago!

Last edited:
It's not that easy to reintroduce duckling as it is chicks with mama hen. So you may want to rethink that one unless your prepared to bring them all in and raise in a brooder. with the one already hatched.
Pics when you can.

I'd give her a chance as long as you can keep close tabs. But always up to you.

Thank you for the advice! :) In the past to introduce our newbies to the rest of the chickens and ducks, we have set up a covered wire pen in the hen house where they all hang out and spend the night (during the months that the pond is frozen). This way they can all see and hear each other. Once the curiosity over the newcomers subsides, and the little ones are big enough, we release them and they all seem to hang together with no problems. We have found that this way, the babies can also see how things work in terms of where they nest in the coop, where they get the water and food. We have done this over the last 5 years with both our chickens and ducks ( all free rangers) and so far its seems to have worked very well. I am hoping this works as well with mammas new little ones :)

I should add, that all the little ones that we have raised, were eggs we purchased or were given, and not laid by any of our other ducks.

The way you have introduced over the years is what most of us always rec. Only way I know of for everyone to get use to each other and become one flock eventually.

This is how I do with my Mamas and Ducklings too. Everyone gets to see the new babies but no one gets to pick on them.

The way you have introduced over the years is what most of us always rec. Only way I know of for everyone to get use to each other and become one flock eventually.

This is how I do with my Mamas and Ducklings too. Everyone gets to see the new babies but no one gets to pick on them.

I just LOVE watching them hatch and grow. :)
Currently we have 4 runner ducks and 1 emerald,

spring.jpg "Spring" has arrived :)

:welcome

Some times new mamas freak out once the eggs they have been sitting on starts peeping and hatching and yes they can kill them. I have had it happen then next time she was an awesome mama. Not saying that is what happened the lil one could have died and she moved it away. If not chewed on I'd say the others didn't get hold of the lil one but I'd somehow try and get her and the eggs safer from the rest of the ducks there is always a risk if a duckling wanders away from a mama that is still sitting that the other birds can injure or kill them.
So sorry this happened. From here on I'd keep a close eye on the hatching in case it was her and you need to intervene and move ducklings to a warm brooder as they hatch.

:welcome

Some times new mamas freak out once the eggs they have been sitting on starts peeping and hatching and yes they can kill them. I have had it happen then next time she was an awesome mama. Not saying that is what happened the lil one could have died and she moved it away. If not chewed on I'd say the others didn't get hold of the lil one but I'd somehow try and get her and the eggs safer from the rest of the ducks there is always a risk if a duckling wanders away from a mama that is still sitting that the other birds can injure or kill them.
So sorry this happened. From here on I'd keep a close eye on the hatching in case it was her and you need to intervene and move ducklings to a warm brooder as they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom