Indian runner egg laying schedule?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LuckyDucksInn, Jan 1, 2017.

1. LuckyDucksInn

LuckyDucksInn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2016
    For weeks now Creed our Indian runner has laid an egg every morning until 2 days ago...she came in to her pen in the house for the night and layed her egg then and then it got broken some how. And yesterday she did not lay one at all...Does their laying time schedule change periodically? Thanks for your wisdom [​IMG]

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have been raising ducks for awhile now, and it seems like they kay whenever they want to, so yes its pretty much every now here and then, sometimes they have time where they'll lay for a straight 2 weeks, then decide, no don't want to today.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes they take a day off - is she getting plenty of calcium?

4. LuckyDucksInn

Oct 21, 2016
    Thanks for the input...what does it mean when a duck is egg bound and how do you know if they are egg bound or just not ready today to lay an egg?

5. LuckyDucksInn

Oct 21, 2016
    Our ducks are let outside in the morning to free roam all day in the creek and the woods and then come in at night...I'm not sure where they would get their calcium from...we supplement their foraging with cracked corn and meal worms. Is calcium something we need to add to their diet? Thanks

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would add calcium. Scratch and corn are recommended for us as a calorie booster - not a high-nutrient food.

For my flock I provide a base of layer or breeder food. In summer they forage for worms and bugs and fresh greens, in winter I add lettuce, sprouted grains, a little dry cat kibble or mealworms as treats to round out their diet.

7. LuckyDucksInn

Oct 21, 2016
    Thanks for the suggestion...my husband is heading to the feed and seed store tomorrow to get some breeder food :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by