1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indian Runner Eggs??????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Squirtchy2009, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    I am getting a trio of Indian Runners this weekend and wanted to know about the females and their eggs...

When do they lay?
    How many do they lay per year?
    And the size of the eggs them selves?

Many Thanks

Squirtch [​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Runners will begin laying between 5 months & 7 months. They lay more or less year-round, but heaviest in the Spring and Summer months. Depending on the line, you may get between 180 & 300 eggs a year (mine are closer to the 300 end, and they are just McMurray ducks). The eggs are a good size--slightly larger than a jumbo chicken egg--and usually white, though they can be green or blue.

So, you gave up on the drakes, and found a trio? I think that's awesome! [​IMG]

3. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Yeah did'nt want to put any presure on the calls, and a trio is cheeper in the long run [​IMG] And i can breed from them and get eggs [​IMG]

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    YAY! I just got an indian runner drake and he is HILARIOUS! Congrats on getting more duckies [​IMG]

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Ours just started laying about two weeks ago (at about 5 months old). One lays consistently every day and the others are more like every other day. The eggs are whitish and about as tall as a jumbo chicken egg only not as big around. We hardboiled some and were pleasantly surprised - the yolks were very creamy and the whites weren't rubbery at all. I actually prefer them over chicken eggs.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I like duck eggs better than chicken too. They are VERY yummy. And LilRalphie--your eggs will probably get bigger as your ducks mature. The first few weeks of laying are unpredictable, and usually the eggs start out smaller. [​IMG]

7. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Good post! I just bought 2 Runner females from Metzers and they are only about 2 weeks so they have a ways to go before laying but I was curious about what they would look like when they do. [​IMG]

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    blondeebee181 enjoy your babies while they are little- Im the sure OP of this particular thread has had some wonderful few years with his birds by now- but with your own so young you have so many things yet to experience with them. What colour will your babies grow up to be? This could make a difference about what colour eggs they will lay- White or tinted. Watching them actually lay the egg can be quite funny- I was very concerned about my girl Flippy a few days ago- she was walking very strangely- I took a few step over to her so I could pick her up to check her over and suddenly- out came the egg and she ran off normally like nothing had ever happened. [​IMG]

9. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Oh baby ducks are the greatest, I am having a great time with them....it's so nice and warm here in Boise they were starting to go in for little swims quite early and that is always the cutest to watch [​IMG] they follow me around the yard while I do my chicken chores and gardening, and they love showing off for the neighbors when we are in the front lawn. (I live in the city) My little Willow is black and Ivy is F+W. Willow is definitely the calmer and Ivy is the most adventurous. I am planning to train them with mittle harnesses soon to prep them for diaper wearing. The purpose is that they will be indoor/outdoor combo ducks. Ivy is a little pigeontoed at the moment so I am planning to supplement their water with a little Niacin, hopefully that will help. Hahaha, that's funny about Flippy! Is she a Runner?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by