Indian Runner Laying Behavior

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lovinducky, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Lovinducky

Lovinducky New Egg

May 2, 2016
    [​IMG]Hi everybody! I have a female ducky named Aflac and she just recently started laying eggs at the beginning of last week. She has laid about 4-5 so far. I can't keep track because she's free range and lays them wherever she wants. lol! About 2 days ago she started acting a little strange. Not as social. Doesn't want to come see me when I come outside to spend time with her. She used to let me hold her little duck bill and she loved it. Now when I try to get near her she runs away. I haven't seen any eggs in a few days and was wondering if something might be wrong with her. She's been kind of keeping her distance from me and her goose friend Howard (which she was always attached to at the hip). I shined a flashlight by her butt to see if I noticed anything strange but didn't see anything weird. Any ideas? Does laying hurt the poor baby? I feel so helpless and don't know what to do. Any help would be great!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    With the start of laying comes hormonal changes. She isn't in pain from laying but the hormones can change their personality. I would catch her and check her over very good and make sure you do not see anything wrong. If she has an egg stuck then she could be in pain but generally you can feel am egg stuck between the pelvic bones underneath her. I would say she is probably fine and this is just hormonal changes but always check to be sure.

Let us know what you find.

3. Lovinducky

Lovinducky New Egg

May 2, 2016
    I actually noticed last night she had something hanging out of her so my mom held her while I cleaned it up. It looked like cooked egg yolk. Then a little later, she passed what looked like a very small egg shell in pieces. Today she seems totally normal and social and is eating well again!

4. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Yikes! Glad you found that out! Keep an eye on her vent for any signs of infection and continue watching her but good job!

5. Lovinducky

Lovinducky New Egg

May 2, 2016
    I sure will. I know that they can get infections when an egg breaks inside of them. That makes me nervous but I will definitely be keeping an eye on her. She's my sweet little baby. I love love love her!

6. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Sounds like she is in good hands! Best of luck and I'll pray she is 100% well now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by