1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indian Runner new mum and questionst

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by IRunners mum, Sep 17, 2015.

1. IRunners mum

IRunners mum Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2015
    Hi All

Well i have had my four Indian Runners now since easter and I am slowly getting the hang of them!!! Almost, although they are still frightened of me, they are slowly getting better!!! I have a few questions and wondered if anyone could help.

1) Due to the darker night my ducks are locked up a little longer, normally from about 8pm until 7am the next morning, I am concerned if they are fine to be that length of time without water???

2) Two of my girls stooped laying about three weeks ago and this morning, both laid eggs?? All eggs look normal, although one girl about two weeks ago started hiding in a bush and calling really loudly ?? no eggs there or anywhere else????

I do not have a drake and I remove all eggs daily.

Advise would be lovely and greatly appreciated

Thank you Claire [​IMG]

2. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    #1 – You don't have water in the coop? Most duck raisers keep water in the coop all night and all day. It just has to be small so it doesn't get so messy (no bathtubs or buckets). I don't think it's good for them to go that long without water since they are waterfowl. I would suggest putting water in the coop for the night. Or is there some reason you can't do that?

#2 – Ducks take breaks from laying. My Muscovies will lay for a week or two, then stop for a week, than start again, and so on. And every year they will have a long molting break. Runners shouldn't stop that often since they lay so much, but they still don't lay every day.

3. MaureenD

MaureenD Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    South Central Wisconsin
    Hi Claire-
    #1, I have read that you can let ducks go up to 9 hr without water (at night, in their coop) without harm to them, so that is what I did to train my girls up. They are ready in the morning for food and water, and it has helped them stay focused to go into their day pen (while I am at work) to eat, sleep, dig, etc.)
    I have been giving them some water at night now, about a gallon container when I put them in their night coop. I let them sip on that for about 30 minutes or so while I finish up the evening routine, then I put them in for the night. I started this just this week as they are new layers, and I want them to have a bit more water before bedtime. They go in about 7:30 pm and I let them out about 7:15 am (CT-Wisconsin).
    Days are getting shorter and none of us like it. ; )

4. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Ducks always need water if they're eating. They alternately eat, drink, etc. they have to have the water to clear their sinuses.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ducks don't need water over night if there is no food available for them.

I started providing water in the summer and their "new" hut made it easier to just have water in there 24/7.

As days get shorter, egg laying can start changing. Less frequently or one here and there or stop altogether.

6. IRunners mum

Apr 20, 2015
    Thank you everyone one for your help, I am trying you best with them and find soapy conflicting stories I never know if I am being a good mum or not... To clarify for Ally ducks are fully free range throughout the day with access to two running streams and one pond that is does up in one of the streams at night the go into the pen on their own accord, which. I lock up at dusk which is about 7.30 pm English time and then I go back remove all food and lock them in their coop, the reason for no water is the coop is so wet from them adding water just seems to create on soaking puddle. It's so hard to keep their coop dry , I clean it out fully on a weekly basis and put fresh wood shavings in every week I did add water when I first got them not the water just ended up everywhere?? Also my girls are not tame so I can't just give them a drink before bed and take it away as they wouldn't drink whilst I was there.....

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Think about something like this - large flat-bottomed, straight-sided stew pot for water, on dry sawdust pellets in the bottom half of a large plastic dog crate.

This waters ten ducks (Runners, Buff) overnight, and keeps the rest of the bedding dry (there is a damp spot at the opening of the watering station that I scoop up in the morning - that is all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. elly21

elly21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachussettes
    That's a great idea! Our coop is too small for that though. But our entire run is predator proof so they go in and out of their coop when ever they want. When the weather starts getting too cold I'll shut the coop door to keep it a little warmer.

9. IRunners mum

Apr 20, 2015
    Thank you for that great idea, I too have a typical little wooden duck house, nothing huge as only 4 little ones, I have done what you suggested, but water bowl on a small tray and dry shavings, it is less messy and less wet than the birds themselves!!!

Amiga, thank you lots. I know you seem to know a lot so please any tips on getting your girls to be a little friendlier. Would be greatly appreciated. I have tried siting in their pen quietly for hours, with corn , peas and other treats I know they like but nothing will stop th from standing in one corner waiting forever to move, then caos[​IMG]

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @IRunners mum - I forgot how old were they when you got them, how old are they now?

My efforts to help my Runners calm down after they hit the three week old terrified stage took weeks and weeks. But it worked! I have an extremely friendly flock. They don't like being picked up, and only a few of them like hugs, but they are very friendly.

My Buff trio - they are ever so slow to warm up. Don't know if they'll ever be as friendly as the Runners.

But my Cayuga girl I adopted at one year old, and she is as friendly as the Runners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by