Indian Runner... RIP and Drake to female

Waterside1964

Hatching
Aug 24, 2019
Hi there.... i am a novice duck keeper but rescued my 2 indian runner girls and 1 drake about a year ago. Unfortunately one of the females died at the vets (upon coming out of anaesthetic).. we have been so upset but now have to consider our remaining boy and girl. They are very imprinted and go everywhere together.
We have a friend who has about 15 who live on his farm on a lake and he shuts away wvery night. He has offered to take in our remaining 2. I am worried about the female's welfare with it just being her getting the male's amorous attention.
Do you think we are doing the rught thing rehoming/integrating them with others of their kind??

Do you really want to keep your 2? if so why not ask your friend if he/she would be willing to part with a female? Yes it can be hard on one female to a drake ratio, but what is it like where they'd be going? How many drakes there to ducks? and what kind of guarantee do you have the drakes wouldn't gang up on her and your drake? They would have to be integrated into the existing flock very slowly. So very sorry for your loss.

:welcome

If the farmer has an extra pen he can keep your 2 in for say a week where everyone can meet and greet, that would really be best. That way the new comers get use to their new place and the resident ducks get to meet them with out trying to run the newbies off.

I truly understand how hard it can be holding down a job and caring for animals. Hope it all works out for the best.

Hi there
Thank you for your welcome and reply.
I am unaware how many drakes, I will have to ask.
I'm not sure how we would introduce them slowly...?
It is a village about 7 miles away - but we do know the farmer well and he is very fond of his ducks and looks after them. He suggested bringing them in the pm so they can go to bed together (much like u do with hens)
We decided awhile ago that we wouldn't replace any of our animals (we have chicken, bantams & 4 dogs) as we both work so it's hard going at times.

So there aren’t other females? If so find out drake to duck ratio because being in a pond can cause a female with many drakes to get drowned if they hang up on her. If at all possible why not add a few more females and keep the two? I love my Runners and feel very protective of them. Very sorry for your loss.

Hi there.... i am a novice duck keeper but rescued my 2 indian runner girls and 1 drake about a year ago. Unfortunately one of the females died at the vets (upon coming out of anaesthetic).. we have been so upset but now have to consider our remaining boy and girl. They are very imprinted and go everywhere together.
We have a friend who has about 15 who live on his farm on a lake and he shuts away wvery night. He has offered to take in our remaining 2. I am worried about the female's welfare with it just being her getting the male's amorous attention.
Do you think we are doing the rught thing rehoming/integrating them with others of their kind??
Hi! I am so sorry you lost one of your females.
We are also novice duck owners and we now have 13! Because I read that males are si amorous, they need 3-4 females. Otherwise it can be hard on one female. So I purchased more females
I have also read a pair of ducks will be okay.
So I think it comes diwn to 1) why you want to rehome your ducks. Will they be happy with you? Have you consudered adding another female.
2) if you rehome them, they will love being around other Runners. Or just living with a pond and other animals.
You can check on their progress and take them back if it doesn't work out.
I know when my ducks are ill, and I bring them indoors they would rather be outdoors in the cold with their flock.
You can’t go wring choosing the environment that is best

Back
Top Bottom