Indian runner vs khaki campbell temperament.

Indian Runners and Khaki Campbells, which are tamer?

• Total voters

PaulX

Songster
Nov 15, 2018
Hello,

Turns out one of the two ducklings I decided to keep is a drakeling. So I'm thinking of getting one more female, I'll get her as hatching eggs, maybe 10 eggs and then keep 3 that hatch until I can voice-sex.

I'm debating between layer breeds as I already have the beautiful white pekin. I believe the non-local breeds I can get here are Khaki Campbells and runners. I love duck eggs, but would prefer to select the breed based on the temperament as she'd be a pet first and foremost. I know a lot depends on the individual personalities and how they're raised but I do believe statistics is important, so please vote based on your experience if you've had both.

Thanks!

Sometimes our KC hen will eat of your hand an others she will hiss at you. Our KC drake will eat out of your hand but can get jittery. A couple months ago as I was walking up to the temp fence he did a vertical takeoff and wound up over the fence. It scared the poop out of him.he ran all around looking for a way back in. Our runner will eat out of your and if you catch him, he just sits in your lap and takes it without a struggle. I lean toward runners but only have experience with one. There is always the factor of the individual duck. They all unique.

I have a female blue runner and she is quite vocal and very sweet. I didn't raise her from a chick, but got her when she was a few months old. She lays an egg every day, and loves to follow my muscovy hen everywhere. I am planning on getting some more runner hens in the spring.
Can we have a picture of both actually?:pop

I have had 4 runners and one KC. The runners are all very friendly and will visit me and eat from my hand and peck at my legs for attention but they are absolutely squirmy when it comes to being touched. My KC was much more cuddly and calm and would stand on my arm when I put it on the ground in front of her. (She didn't make it due to 2 severe prolapses). Metzer rates runners as "nervous" vs KCs as "very calm". From my experience, I would translate "nervous" to energetic. Runners are like working dogs, they need to be doing something all the time (usually foraging). My KC was more kicked back (although she did have an attitude and could take on any duck in the flock!) So I would say if you want a "cuddle" duck (ducks aren't the best cuddle pets and if you do get one consider yourself very lucky) I would go with the KC. If you want great entertainment with antics and still a friendly duck, I would go with runners.

I’m with Tevyes dad, my Khakis are sweet and some are cuddly. I can’t speak for Runners, I am sure they are great too,but I love my Khakis!
BE750F5A-656A-4050-9FA1-E42778B587CB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom