1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indian Runner with a Yeast Infection??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lucy Duck, May 30, 2016.

1. Lucy Duck

Lucy Duck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    Hi Folks! Quick question for you all out there. It seems I have a female Indian Runner with a yeast infection. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as I normally don't see that area when I pick her up. Does anyone know how to treat her at home? My Vet does not treat chickens or ducks and the closest one is two hours away. I have been giving her warm soaks in dawn dish soap and apple cider vinegar. One article I read for chickens suggested applying monistat to the area and adding two tablespoons of pure unfiltered apple cider vinegar to one gallon of water. They have a fresh pool to swim in daily, but we all know ducks can dirty it up in no time.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would consider the monistat. I think some folks call that gleet (if I understand what's going on with her correctly) - you may be able to find more information using that term.

[​IMG]

Please keep us posted, and please post over on the Duck Forum. There is so much going on there, I think some duck folks concentrate on that forum and don't often check here....
    @Lucy Duck
    I was also wondering - might it be a prolapse?

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  3. Lucy Duck

Aug 7, 2014
    Yes, Gleet sounds correct. Nothing is protruding, just a bit swollen, no redness, just some milky discharge Eating and drinking normally, happy.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please keep us posted. [​IMG]

I am wondering if any of the natural anti-fungals might help....like a pau d'arco tea compress....

5. Lucy Duck

Aug 7, 2014
    I'm going to try the monistat and unfiltered apv for now and see if that helps. Ill let you know ;)

6. Lucy Duck

Aug 7, 2014
    Well Amiga, I'm not entirely sure if my treatments of flushing with unfiltered apple cider and monistat are working. I suppose I'm not seeing as much drainage, but she still looks swollen, not red. On a side note in regards to my other Chocolate Runner female, she developed a hard mass on her head about a month ago. It literally popped up over night. I thought at first perhaps my male got a bit rough with her and knocked her head. But the mass never went down and when I touched it, it was very hard. My guess is she has a fast growing brain tumor :( She is only one year old. My sweet Indiana Jones. Her attitude has changed to the point where she is broody, and trying to hatch three eggs. I decided to allow her to try if that is what is making her happy. Perhaps she knows she is dying and has an urge to be a mother. I truly hope she is successful as I would love to have a baby of hers before she passes.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Tough all around...[​IMG]

I don't know that tumors show up that quickly. But I am not a vet. Wondering if it's a cyst. Are you currently giving B vitamin supplements? I would try it. Won't hurt.

For the vent issue ... hmmm. Have you tried antibiotics? I know that could be problematic if it's yeast, but what if it's bacterial? Have you put any of the discharge in hydrogen peroxide to see if it bubbles?

8. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear about your ducks, I wish I could do something to help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by