Indian Runner with warts on feet

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by daydreamer92, Jun 9, 2011.

1. daydreamer92

daydreamer92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Hi,

I have about an eight week old Indian Runner who seems to have warts or corns (?) on both feet. They are not inflamed or swollen with a plug like bumble foot, but sort of craggy/cracked looking. All of them are on the underside of both feet, along her toes and the tip of her toe. This duck has always had balance issues and is our sort of special needs crested runner. I'm wondering if the warts are something I should try to treat as contributing to her problems (she tends to fall over a lot) or maybe they happened due to her problem. The ducks are not kept on a hard surface and have access to the outside almost daily (lots of lawn).

I don't have a photo yet (need a second pair of hands to do so), and a search here on and on the web in general hasn't provided fruitful yet. Hoping duck owners here can help.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I suppose it could be a fungal infection, in which case you could look into whether tea tree oil or oil of oregano or other antifungal might be safe and worth a try.

I'd see if I could put a little epsom salt compress on the feet for a few minutes. It would be a real chore, since ducks aren't too keen on cooperating with that kind of thing, but it's an idea.

Or even a warm soak in a clean lukewarm tub for several minutes.

You could dab it with betadyne. In fact, a quick swab with hydrogen peroxide might tell you if it's an infection - often bacterial infections will foam up with H2O2.

That's what I can offer right now.

3. daydreamer92

daydreamer92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if warty feet were not uncommon or what. I will make a point of looking at a couple of the other duck's feet to see if they have this as well. I'll give the soak and what not a try. Thanks!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If it works out, it would be great if you could post some pictures. Those are very helpful both to figure out what you're dealing with, and provide information for others.

I pray you get the matter resolved . . . and that the duck cooperates!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by