Indian runners from Ideal???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shkittles, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking about ordering some chicks and ducks from Ideal Hatchery:D[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:fl and was wondering what their Indian runner ducks look like when they're little and big so if you could post some pics that would be very helpful!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Thank You in advance!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would only order from a place that has an actual PICTURE of their runners on their website somewhere.

My runner came from a hatchery (not sure which one), and she looks like a splotchy buff duck. Hardly runner looking at all.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    I think quite a few of the hatcheries sell runners but what you get from a hatchery is just that, hatchery birds. Nothing against the hatcheries but they aren't in the business of breeding for quality, they go for quantity. Some of them don't even raise the birds themselves anymore they are drop shipped from somebody else. It all depends on what you want to do with them, if you just want some barnyard ducks then a hatchery is the way. If you want to show them or want breed standards you will be disapointed.

Steve in NC

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    when you type in indian runner in google, you get tons of pictures of really skinny looking runners. From what i've read, only runners from the UK or India are actually that skinny. Most runners here in the US are rounder and a bit fatter. Mine is also fatter. They still do stand upright, way more thasn other ducks, but i wouldn't count on them being that skinny...

Nor are they upright all the time... That's usually just when they run/walk. they stand a little horizontal when resting.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your Victor/Victoria looks more "runner-ish" than Chrissy, but neither of our babies look like show ducks.

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    lol nope... my F tells Vic that's he's too fat and needs to go on a diet... I believe the new name for vic lately has been "Fatty McPhatterson" lol.

Also, Shkittles, fawn and whites tend to be bigger than the other colors.... My brown one is much smaller and more runner looking than the fawn and white. I've encountered a few other popele who've said the same thing.

So if you want really skinny runners, perhaps you should order browns, blues, and blacks from Metzer Farms, since they have a nice selection and a low ordering minimum (2, with no warmers). Ideal only has Black or fawn and white.

Also, Holderreads has a huge selection of colors, but the minimum is 10 and they don't sex them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by