Indian Runners - illness

melissammh

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 10, 2010
North Eastern Ontario
Last month I had 22 of 24 ducklings die. Half were incubator hatched, half were hatched outside by Runner hens.
They were all brooded together with the hens outside.

One by one they developed eye discharge, fluorescent green liquid stool, respiratory sounds, profound weakness and then death.

My five adult Indian Runner ducks were completely unaffected. Drakes and hens.

I scrubbed everything, chalked it up to a virus they caught outside as I could never pinpoint what the illness was.

Fast forward to now. I have new, older Runner chicks (mostly feathered). After ten days of being home - one just developed the same symptoms.

This time, acute inability to walk over a period of several hours, using his wings and beak to pull himself, bright green diarrhea, and a whistling respiratory sound.

I have a call out to my vet - but does anyone have any ideas?? Still preening, still eating and drinking, but reduced. But can not stand, and the bright green stools.

My ducks, chickens and geese all live together in a barn. So I'm not sure if this is in the soil or barn, or my ducks are now immune but carriers and spreading it?

I have a sinking feeling this whole new batch is going to get sick and die.

That is unreal. I have no idea. Hopefully, your vet will know and be able to treat before you lose any more.
@casportpony any ideas. something bacterial?
Thank you. I'm so concerned.
I'm not new to chickens, ducks or geese.
So when the ducklings were wiped out over a period of ten days - it blew me away.
I'm very careful with cleanliness/care for chicks and ducklings.
And now this new batch (well one so far) started showing similar symptoms, well, now I'm baffled.
I'm just wondering if it's coccidiosis? But bright green diarrhea, not walking AND respiratory symptoms... It's like a mixed bag.

I'm waiting to hear back from Hockley Mobile Vet to see if I can get antibiotics. I'm in northern Ontario, and everything is hard to get here without a prescription.
Crap.... Baytril is banned for use in poultry, but some vets will still prescribe it. Try very hard to get some.

Crap.... Baytril is banned for use in poultry, but some vets will still prescribe it. Try very hard to get some.
Anything else that could potentially help? We're after hours now, so it might be a bit of a wait.
And - how should I clean my barn?? Clearly I'm going to have to muck out everything, but should I spray with bleach water?

Back
Top Bottom