Indian Runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Roosterboy, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Well i'm in hurry but i need to know about indian runners. Anyone have any? Can i see pics? How is their egg production? Are they friendly

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
  3. Neverenuff

Neverenuff Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Harrodsburg, Kentucky
    I have indian runners they are not the best quality but they are crazy fun. I got them to train my herding dog. I have heard that they are good layers, mine have not started to lay yet they are only 6 months old. They as the name implies run, they are a bit flighty, but mine are really tame they run to the fence when I come outside and some of them will even get in your lap if you have treats. my website has pics of them.

http://www.neverenuff.us/DucksPage.html

Jamie

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  4. Roosterboy

Oct 28, 2008
    Would they do well as a pet in a small flock with chickens?

5. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They are pretty tame as far as breeds go - mine get along with everyone but they keep to themselves. They are crazy fast! Those littlewebs can really boogie!

[​IMG]

6. Roosterboy

Oct 28, 2008
    So, for a suburban area would you recommend one or are they to loud and it would be impossible.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I don't have runners... but I want them. So I've been researching. I do not think they are any louder or quieter then other breeds. Females being the loudest. They are by far the best egg layers of ducks averaging an egg a day 300+ a year. They are NOT very broody so won't hatch for you. They are shy as far as ducks go, but not aggressive.

Let me know how they work out for you. I'm looking to get about 4-5 myself. Maybe in the spring if the Pekins I have hatching go well.

I think Indian Runners are GORGEOUS. (I'm a fan of the fawn colored one's myself)

8. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Indian Runner ducks are the most productive duck breed. They aren't flyers either. I have two, one male and female, and she lays 2 eggs a day. She started laying 3 months ago and I got them at the end of april. I absolutely love mine. I have them in with the chickens and I use them when I integrate younger chicks into the group. I plan on getting more. [​IMG]
    Good luck.

9. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Well the females can quack pretty loud when they want to, nothing like call ducks though.

10. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    are they good for free ranging?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by