indian runners

aladatrot

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
LaPorte
My husband bought me some indian runner ducklings to raise and eventually use to train my sheepdogs on (these are herding dogs - not housepets chasing animals). Anyway, the ducks will be here soon, and I've read that they are similar to raising my chicks with the exception of not having medicated starter. However, I have not come upon any Runner-specific care for the ducklings. I am planning to move them into my old chicken coop to brood which allows room for swimming apparatus. At what age do they need access to a pool? Is there anything else I should know before they get here?

Cheers!
M

they won't need a pool until they are fully feathered. Until then they shouldn't have access to a pool. Unsupervised ducklings can drown until they have all their feathers and oil. So i would not worry about some place to swim while they are growing. If you want to let them swim supervised, you can fill a rubbber maid tote or a small dish with just enough warm water to reach their bellies. That way they can preen, not get chilled, and can still reach the floor if they get tired.

Runners don't need any specific care, just general duckling care. I have two 1 month old runners in their little rubber maid brooders behind me right now.
smile.png

Nettie has the most spoiled runners on the planet!
gig.gif

My runner was used as a herding dog trainer duck. So was my khaki drake.

If you have cared for chicks, you will be fine. I let my first hatch swim after a week, but i was supervising.

I have one of the large puppy pans with the raised center that moves the food to the edges so puppies can eat without stretching, or getting in the pan...when I brought my new duckilings home last Saturday, I filled that with water (holds a gallon) but it is not deep...they were new hatches and did not know what the water was until I dipped bills...then they all dove in and were scooting around in a circle bumper to bumper...one of the funniest things I have ever seen...and my camera was in the house...

Thanks guys!

I'm pretty excited about the ducks. I already own two drakes that had an interesting history. They were "stolen" from a local university by some folks down the street. When their place got forclosed on, I asked what was going to happen to the ducks. They were just going to have to go with the property, so I told their owner I was going to "steal" them. Thanks to another neighbor, I have two beautiful twice-stolen ducks in one of my ponds. I'm glad I got them, too. There wouldn't have been anyone to feed them for months. Now Ben and Jerry are quite spoiled
wink.png

Finally getting some legitimate ducks is exciting!

Cheers
M

Back
Top Bottom