indian runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by the_hunter, Aug 9, 2011.

1. the_hunter

the_hunter New Egg

Feb 24, 2011
    hi lads
    i recently purchased some indian runner ducks they are pol (about 3 weeks time) . is there any good sites you recommed on their care [​IMG]
    is there many on here that has indian runner ducks if so what do you think of them ??

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

There is plenty of us on BYC with runners and plenty of information on them to. You can use the search bar in the upper right if you want to search something and 90% of the time you can usually find it on here.

I know i have 6 runners and i love them. I am currently on the hunt for more females right now. My ratio is way off. If you have any questions im sure someone on here has the answer.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have had ducks for thirty or so years- but Runners are by far my favorite breed. The fact that they have so many colours and are great egg layers are only secondary to the character and personalities as far as I am concerned. I have show birds..breeders and disabled ducks requiring special care in my flock and each one is special in its own way. I have hand raised most of my flock and cant imagine my life without them.

There are some sticky topics that you may find interesting or helpful here. They are about ducks in general rather then Runner specific- but should help to answer a few questions you may have.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=256233

4. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Hey Featherfinder how are you? Finally got my runners 6 black about 3 or so weeks old They're not as cuddly as I would like but they are HYSTERICAL to watch as my corgi herds them. I could watch them all day but then no housework would get done.[​IMG] Who cares about clean dishes. That why we have paper plates and takeout. Are yours as dense as mine? I put an extra run in front of the other one and now I spend 20 min. + trying to catch the little buggers to put them to bed but I love them. [​IMG] To The_hunter this is the best site in the world! Never ever think a question is to dumb I've asked tons that I thought were dumb.

The only problem with this site is that you see and hear so much wonderful stuff you'll be hooked for life. I never thought I would have ducks or a goose but the last time I looked there they were unless they're really weird chickens [​IMG]
    Gook luck with your babies
    Post pics. if you can we would love to see them

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:I have 5 out side in the pen right now. 4 runners and my 1 black swedish. I traded my young chocolate to someone else here on BYC for a black pair and a blue female. So all together i have 2 blacks, 1 blue, 1 F&W, and then my 2 ducklings. almost 2 months old i can tell by the sound i have a white drake and then the other is a female. Really curious to see what she looks like. I will create a threat for her later once i have some pics. Plus my random black swedish. Have to sell the white male though cause right now i have 4 boys to 3 females. Mine are not so bad at being rounded up. takes maybe 5 mins with 2 people or 1 person and 1 of my dogs lol. PM if you would like to talk. Sorry to OP for the off subject lol.

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a group of Runners just now, 5 weeks old that I cant herd anywhere. they all just stand there peeping at me like feed me, feed me peas, feed me more peas. I more of less have to man handle them out the way to get them to go anywhere or pick them up and move them. They are sooo funny

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:I think yours are a bit unusual then. Mine are basically terrified, unless I have peas. [​IMG]

I started herding mine when they were young. Go slow and use some type of stick/pole. I use a 7' piece of 3/4" pvc tube. If you have ever seen anything on dog herding (sheep etc) you can get an idea of what to do. I don't have to get close, just get around behind them and hold my pole or arm on the opposite side from where I want them to go (if that makes sense).

I have 11 ~4 1/2 week old runners. They are hilarious. I'm waiting to see exactly what they look like as parents were multiple colors. I have 1 that is a milk chocolate color so far. I think it had a F&W mom and chocolate dad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by