1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indiana new member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mishlerfarm24, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Mishlerfarm24

Mishlerfarm24 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    Bremen, Indiana
    Hello!! I'm Danielle and I live in Northern Indiana. I've lived on a farm all my life! Never had any animals, just crops. After meeting my fiancé and living with him in town he had chickens and I fell in love with them!! I lived with him in town for 3 years, during that time we got new neighbors and their dogs escaped and killed most of our chickens. Sad day for me! The two we had left we gave to a local farmer due to being afraid their dogs would do it again!
    In the meantime my dad was in the process of buying another farm. My parents offered the new farmhouse to me and my fiancé and we accepted the offer! After living on the farm for 9 months we decided to get chickens again!!! We bought 6 chicks! Not only was I in love again our son was in love too!!! Around 2-3 months we were outside cleaning the chicks bedding. My son can running and crying saying Rebel chicken Rebel chicken! (He was 3 at the time and hard to understand a bit) Our dog Rebel got one of our chicks! Déjà vu all over again! Lucky I caught him in time, but not enough to save the chick! Fast forward 4 months we got our first egg! Our son enjoyed his chore of looking for eggs and collecting them. Of course he had to learn the hard way that eggs needing to be handled carefully and he accidentally dropped an egg. He was devastated! Broke my heart to see him upset like that over an egg! After getting eggs, my fiancé and I talked about getting a few more chickens and maybe a rooster again! Fast forward another 3 more months, a friend of ours passed away unexpectedly! His daughter contacted me a few weeks after his passing to see if we would want her dads chickens and anything else we would need for the chickens. Of course we accepted! After work my finances went and picked up the chickens and brought them home! I was hoping for like 5-6 chickens, it was 12! I was hoping to grow my flock little by little. I was a little overwhelmed at first but now I got the hang of it. I'm still learning, but I'm enjoying it very much!! I am having a hard time with the new flock and their breeds. I have figured out majority of them but not all. There are 4 hens, though I think one is a newly rooster, that are giving me a hard time figuring out their breed.

Happy momma of our 4 year old son Jace. 3 dogs, yellow lab Rebel (12yrs old) Boxer, Tyden (10 yrs old) and a Great Dane puppy Diesel (8 months old) 2 indoor cats, Turbo and Trixie. 3 outdoor cats, Wrangler, Toasty, and Tiny, Tiny is my female kitty and is looking pretty pregnant! And our 17 chickens!

Our farm is slowly but surely growing! Our next adventure, pigs!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - its great that you have decided to join us. Its seems like chicken maths is alive and kicking - i wonder if there's such a thing as pig maths? If you post some photos, i'm sure the breed peeps will help you out with your flock.

All the best
    CT

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Danielle. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. Mishlerfarm24

Jan 28, 2016
    Bremen, Indiana
    Thanks!! I will most definitely post pictures, once I figure it out!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you will be able to keep the chickens safe from dogs, cats, and more cats. Hope their survival rate improves. I feel badly for your son re:cracked egg. I was a very sensitive child and would have been devastated also. Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

If you get pictures of your unknowns you can post here or at "what breed or gender is this." and we'll do our best to ID them for you.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I'll look forward to seeing your pics. :eek:)

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Danielle, [​IMG]

Looks like you're doing well in the chicken math category! Nice having your son involved with the animals, kids learn so much take care of and having fun with them.

Good luck to you with all your plans!

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello Danielle!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

10. Mishlerfarm24

Jan 28, 2016
    Bremen, Indiana
    Oh he loves it!! He loves all the chickens except for one! Which I don't blame him cause I don't like her much either! She has chased him and pecked him a few times and that scared him! She is a very determined and protective hen!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by