Indiana Peafowl still laying?

Knix6468

Songster
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Gaston Oregon
Yes I ordered eggs on 8/4 from an ebay seller who said they ship when eggs are layed, its 8/18 and no indication they have been shipped.

But, my question does anyone from Indiana still have peafowl who are laying eggs? or peacocks with trains that would make the eggs fertile.

Our birds in Oregon have been without trains since 8/4 ish.

Thanks

Holly

I'M IN Ohio right next State, all my peacocks have drop their trains, no hens laying either. My guess be hard to find fertile eggs now. Maybe a few out there.

Thanks Deerman for replying, I just checked ebay , there is one seller in Texas with a new listing for eggs, and one in MN. I cant imagine that any still have tails. Maybe I should change heading to have your peacocks dropped their tails.

It would be interesting to know why some birds keep them longer. Do the males see the other males losing their tails so hormones change as they don't have competition anymore? or is it only heat, or timing. or is it age?

I still have so much to learn about peafowl....
smile.png

We have one pen of IBs that are still producing eggs and the male just started dropping his sword feathers this week. Can't be for sure about fertility until we incubate the eggs, but we are putting them under chicken hens. We hope to get some of the eggs to hatch.

Ernie Haire
Arp, Texas

Eggs should be fertile up to 3 weeks after peacock drop their trains. Had a peahen lay fertile eggs 2 weeks after the male was removed.

My male dropped his train almost 2 months ago, and I am just now getting fertile eggs from my females. This whole season I have been getting duds, but I just hatched 2 chicks, with a third coming any day. All the eggs she is laying now are the fertile ones. Apparently, we really do things backwards in Texas

Found an egg on Sunday! Looks like it might be my last one......my Opal Male started dropping tail feathers yesterday! Still have eggs in the incubator......hoping for another opal chick!!!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom