Indiana Peafowl still laying?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Knix6468, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Knix6468

Knix6468 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    Yes I ordered eggs on 8/4 from an ebay seller who said they ship when eggs are layed, its 8/18 and no indication they have been shipped.

But, my question does anyone from Indiana still have peafowl who are laying eggs? or peacocks with trains that would make the eggs fertile.

Our birds in Oregon have been without trains since 8/4 ish.

Thanks

Holly

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I'M IN Ohio right next State, all my peacocks have drop their trains, no hens laying either. My guess be hard to find fertile eggs now. Maybe a few out there.

3. Knix6468

Knix6468 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    Thanks Deerman for replying, I just checked ebay , there is one seller in Texas with a new listing for eggs, and one in MN. I cant imagine that any still have tails. Maybe I should change heading to have your peacocks dropped their tails.

It would be interesting to know why some birds keep them longer. Do the males see the other males losing their tails so hormones change as they don't have competition anymore? or is it only heat, or timing. or is it age?

I still have so much to learn about peafowl.... [​IMG]

4. xlboergoats

xlboergoats Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Arp, Texas
    We have one pen of IBs that are still producing eggs and the male just started dropping his sword feathers this week. Can't be for sure about fertility until we incubate the eggs, but we are putting them under chicken hens. We hope to get some of the eggs to hatch.

Ernie Haire
    Arp, Texas

5. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Eggs should be fertile up to 3 weeks after peacock drop their trains. Had a peahen lay fertile eggs 2 weeks after the male was removed.

6. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Word "Indiana"

Do Indiana Peafowls means Indian Blue Peafowls ???

Clinton.

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:no that from State of Indiana.

8. missevie

missevie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Dallas
    My male dropped his train almost 2 months ago, and I am just now getting fertile eggs from my females. This whole season I have been getting duds, but I just hatched 2 chicks, with a third coming any day. All the eggs she is laying now are the fertile ones. Apparently, we really do things backwards in Texas

9. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    My birds quit laying a few weeks ago and the males have all dropped their trains and i am in indiana

10. Lady in Blue

Lady in Blue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Near Muncie, Indiana
    Found an egg on Sunday! Looks like it might be my last one......my Opal Male started dropping tail feathers yesterday! Still have eggs in the incubator......hoping for another opal chick!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by