1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indications for Egg Laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by capebird, Jul 7, 2011.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I know my chickens are too young yet to start even thinking about laying....
    but are there any indications when the time is close... any behaviors or physical
    characteristics..... anything that would be an indication that they're getting ready
    to lay?

thanks!!

2. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    The pullets' combs and wattles should turn red when they begin to lay.

3. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    squating is a good indication and as indicated above thier combs get very red.

4. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Got my first two eggs this week and I knew clearly that something was up with the pullet, a BR, at 19 weeks, as the day before she seemed very agitated and was hunting for a way out of the coop and out of the pen. (I did not have nest boxes set up yet, but had a couple of places to hide in the coop with good bedding.) She was making growling noises.

Next day in a.m., I set up a box. She was also agitated and growling, got in the box as soon as I had it ready, and I laid a nice little brown egg about 1/2 hr. later, late morning. Next day, exact same thing, and I got to watch her lay. My rooster attended to her very sweetly, hovering over her or at the box entrance, making comforting noises. He got some brownie points there, as his lovemaking technique leaves something to be desired! I must confess that the possible discomfort of laying had not much occurred to me.

She had bright red comb and wattles but I have noticed some of my others vary. One day, pink, then redder, then pink again. The yellow tones of chickhood are gone.

Edited to add that I haven't much observed the famed squatting behavior, and they are very tame and handled/petted daily. The rooster is very recently active and they don't have a lot of choice but to comply with him. Also the pullet didn't sing the egg song or make any noise while or after laying. She was out of the nest pretty quickly and got a good long drink. Whew!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  5. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    They'll get very red and combs and wattles will grow. About a week or two before laying, they'll squat down when you put your hand over them. Then they'll start to look for a place to lay. My girls would pace up in the roost and next box area, looking a little perturbed. The searching for a nest happened 2-3 days before laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by