Indifferent councilmen- any advice?

icnu

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 30, 2013
The law in my town allows chickens, but there is a 100' setback, which unfortunately prevents most within city limits from keeping chickens legally. I would really like to get the law changed, but it seems that the city is indifferent. Yes, the law says xyz, but they are not interested in enforcing the law, unless there is a complaint. At least 2 councilmen have given the same comments at different times (paraphrase) -they aren't interested in changing the law, there are bigger problems in the city for them to deal with. Go ahead and get the hens, just don't get caught and you'll be fine.- And they are serious! There are a dozen houses- that I know of- around the city with "illegal" chickens, and the city knows about it, but as long as the neighbors don't complain, they leave it peace.

So. At this point, I need some advice. I want my chickens to be "legal". But is it worth the time and effort if no one in the city cares what I, or anyone else, do/does? If I "stir the pot" could everyone, myself included, "flying under the radar" get in trouble?

Perhaps just talk to your neighbors about the situation and see if any of them would mind. I wouldn't want to risk getting a flock established, and then having someone complain and have to get rid of all your chickens that you have become attached to. That would be awful...I know it happens sometimes in places that are alright to keep chickens...but it seems like it would be more likely if you are in a place that has the we don't care til someone complains thing going on...
Good luck.

And the more people that have chickens the more people will be fighting for their right to keep chickens...so get more people in your community involved. Get people interested in the subject.

I agree. I would see how your neighbors feel about it. In my experience, it is not your immediate neighbors, but snooty people in the area which find the idea of chickens offensive. They don't understand that they are mostly pets, not farm animals.

If you wanted to push for legal protection, maybe you could try to get together a group of local chicken owners to help. The city doesn't really have an incentive to get off their butts unless many people are bugging them, I think.

If you decide to go ahead and get chickens, keep only a few hens and no roosters. Keep the coop clean, keep it out of sight from the road. Try to keep it from being an eyesore, if you can. It is ok to keep chickens where we are, but we live really close to our neighbors. We gave them a half carton of surplus eggs every few weeks, and they didn't mind. Everyone was especially impressed with the blue eggs from our Easter Egger. A trio of hens, say, would be easy to re-home if needed.

Good luck!

I do have a plan B, in case I do get a complaint, and the city tells me to get rid of them.

I had already planned on seeking out those "illegal" chicken-owners, even if only to get their experiences! That's a great idea to see if we can band together! A group of people definitely has a bigger voice than one single person!

Would sending letter to the editor and getting some media attention help? Or could that just notify the city there is a growing "rebellion," and that they need to start enforcing that law?

Maybe you should run a local Akron chicken-keeper meeting...to see who has chickens illegally and would be willing to stand up against the cause. I would definately participate but mine will be legally kept but the more people, the better I would assume. My district councilman lives down the road from me and I already considered selling him eggs...hehehe.
I think you should find and print research articles about the benefits of raising chickens and the side-effects of hormone-pumped chickens that are sold locally in stores...then use it as your crutch...to improve the health of your life and your family's life, to reduce the risks of cancer, etc. If you center it around a beneficial fight, it might go in your favor. I would also add in there the changing roles of school meals and how the government is now acknolwedging the importance of proper health in Americans.
Just a thought..

Back
Top Bottom