1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indifferent Foal

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jasmine1998, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Jas's most recent foal is very indifferent, If you ignore her totally she will call out to you, if you sit still long enough she will come up to you & sniff/lick you but the second you try to touch her, she is off like a bolt of lightning. We have had several foals in the past, but none like her. The only way we can get her is if we get the mare to go into the run in shed to eat her dinner, then we approach the foal in the corner so she can't run away - who turns her butt to us, but never kicks - then we can reach out & scratch her butt, hold her & put her halter on her. We do this twice per day. Once we get her then she does lead for the most part, as long as you have the lead rope wrapped behind her butt. The leading we only do once per day. She is 3 1/2 weeks old now. Normally I would not do this much with the foal this early on, but she is almost like a wild pony. I think part of the problem is that Jasmine had her 3 weeks early & in the middle of the day, so by the time we realized she had her, the foal was already a few hours old & running around in the field.

Any suggestions to get her to come around?
    [​IMG]

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Our colt this year was like that also. Give her time and positive attention. He came around great for us despite being a little standoffish as a baby.

3. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Sometimes babies like this don't really come around to you until they are weaned. They often take the weaning process really hard but once they realized mama is really gone, they will begin to warm up to you, possibly because you're the only one still there. Handle her as much as possible every single day, including picking up her feet, brushing her, etc, so that when mama IS gone, you will seem safe and comforting and familiar, and your routines will already be routine to her.

HTH

Rusty

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Work with her as much as you can. If you are going to show her, start clipping her now. I had some that I did not
    work with early enough, and boy did I regret it later. She is independent. Typical girl!

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    It is not really typical girl. It requires time, lots of time every day - patience, perserverence, patience.

6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Wow, that's a pretty little filly! Is she Arabian? They have the prettiest shaped heads, don't they?

7. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Mama - Thanks! She is Arabian.

She is very independent. She would rather hang out at the bottom of the fence line with the other horses then with him mother half of the time. She will even "yell" at her mom when Jasmine walks back up to the shed because she does not want to leave her friends. The mare is really great, she is perfectly fine with us handling the foal - the foal just stands there & watches when we groom mom like her mom has lost her mind. We were kind of hoping that if she sees how much mom likes it, she will start to like it.

Once we do catch her, she is ok to pick up her feet, etc. You do have to have 2 people, because the second she feels no hands on her, she is off.

[​IMG]

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Independent little squirt, isn't she LOL Like my daughter! [​IMG]

9. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Look at that face!!! You could send her to me anytime now.
    Her cousins over here would teach her how to grow up. [​IMG]

10. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Once you take mama away and she has to depend on you, her entire outlook will change....... Some foals see no need for humans as long as they have mom.
    They are all individuals and have different personalities. I have had some that were pocket ponies and some that gave me the foal look of death. Once they were weaned they all needed me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by