Indoor brooder needed for baby chicks arriving in Chicago early July?

chicagochicken

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Hi everyone,

This is my very first post, however, I have been perusing the forum for the past 8 months in anticipation for our spring baby chick order.

Since last summer, I've been doing a lot of research in my free time on raising chickens, fighting the alderman to continue allowing residents their right to own them, and have been anxiously awaiting their arrival .

They were originally scheduled to be delivered this week, however, it seems there has been a delay in hatching Faverolles & bantam Wyandottes and now, they will not be ready for shipment until late June - early July! In the interim, I have set up a well insulated indoor (in our dining room) electric hen/brooder for them before transferring them to a coop we had built in our yard.

I am wondering if this indoor set-up is necessary since they will be coming when our days and evenings are muggy and hot (usually high 80s - low 90s)?

Any advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated!
smile.png

Many thanks!

You may want to have them inside for awhile just to keep an eye on them and because they're fun to watch especially since this is your first order. You'll know when they can go out to the coop...especially when the peeping gets to be too much.

By the way, how is the situation with the aldermen/women in Chicago? Has to idea of banning chickens in the city kinda died down?

They should take a lesson from the city officials in Madison. Poultry has been legal within city limits since 2004. The Mad City Chicken group keeps on holding chicken 101 classes for the growing number of people interested in taking the poultry plunge.

City chickens are the future.

Hi and thanks for your suggestions!
smile.png

Unexpectedly, I received a phone call this afternoon from the hatchery telling me they would be able to ship out my order in early April as there was a slight computer mix-up!

As for things here in Chicago, we modeled our suggested ordinance based on the Madison one (which was very reasonable), and so far, all is quiet as the city does not want to revisit further negative media attention. My husband and I live in a house downtown and are fortunate to have neighbours who are very open-minded and considerate!

Thank you again for your help!

Hi there,

I'm in western Chicagoland and was hoping to find a local city bird contact. I don't have any birds yet but am planning on a few ducks and chickens late this spring (am in the process of shopping for a house, currently).

Hoping the poultry bill (pun intended) never makes it back out of committee. Thanks for your efforts in that direction.
smile.png

Yanna

Back
Top Bottom