Indoor brooding ducks 2 weeks apart in age??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by langfordcr, Mar 10, 2017.

1. langfordcr

langfordcr Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2016
    Two weeks ago we bought 3 ducklings (our first; we have chickens). Unfortunately, the dog thought they were toys while they were getting some outside time and we lost 2 to her. The dog doesn't mess with the chickens so I didn't expect her to go after the ducks. I didn't want to keep just one lone duck (Pekin) so we purchased 2 more day olds (mallards) yesterday. First of all, I was shocked at how big the 2 week old Pekin was already compared to the new ones!! Moving on, we put them together and the 2 week old is pecking at them and biting their wings. It looks pretty rough to me. Is this normal "mom/baby" behavior? Or is she really being mean to them? I don't even know her gender yet so I can't say if "she" is doing motherly things. I put a divider in the brooder last night to keep the babies protected from her. I woke up this morning and those rascals wiggled their way in and were snuggled up with the Pekin. Not sure what today will bring when they all rise and shine. Have I made a mistake bringing in 2 babies? Any advice is welcome as we are totally new to ducks and don't know their behavior!

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I would try reinforcing the divider till the Little ones are Bigger.....My Bouncer is a month older than the other Ducklings...I separated them by wire till these younger Ducklings grew a bit more....The noodling is normal....I saw that Bouncer was not letting the little ones eat or drink...He was bossy...Now they are all together and doing great.....Possibly today they will be great?......

You never made a mistake getting them....As they get bigger it will be great.....

Congrats....:)

Cheers!

3. langfordcr

langfordcr Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2016
    They all seem to be friends. They have walked around a bit and the Pekin is playing nice. The babies keep snuggling up to her!! They must think she's mom. But is she a she??? LOL Time will tell.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That's great.....To young to be mothering....Loves the company of the other Ducklings.....
    So happy it is working out...:)

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by