Indoor chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PaigeAndy'schickens, Dec 22, 2017.

1. PaigeAndy'schickens

PaigeAndy'schickens Chirping

Dec 22, 2017
    Northern Ohio
    Hello, we recently came upon a young hen that needed rescue. She was found in a snow bank in a driveway all by herself. (possibly dropped by a hawk) Regardless, my fiance and I had chickens before and decided to take care of her. We plan to get a new set of baby chicks in the spring anyway.
    We are now running into a problem. We have a chicken coop outside but we are not fully confident with how secure it is and had planned to fix it up come spring for the babies. We feel as if our only option is to temporarily keep her in an indoor chicken coop until spring when we will be able to fix up her permanent home and let her live with our new flock when we get them.
    Is this possible? We will make the indoor coop be around four feet tall and four to five feet long and wide. Planning on using a horse stall mat as the flooring and chicken wire all the way around. Then some for the top. We will put down newspaper and then wood chips that will get cleaned and replaced regularly. We feel like having her inside for this short time might also have the benefit of making her become more friendly. Am I missing anything? Any advice to make this work? Thank you so much for your help!!!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I think you have a GREAT plan..
    Thanks for rescuing the chicken..... :hugs
    WISHING YOU BEST and .....:welcome

3. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Crossing the Road

Apr 1, 2017
    Madison, FL
    My Coop
  4. bmwmom941

bmwmom941 Chirping

Dec 17, 2017
    The Sunshine State
    I’m new to chickens but am learning so much from BYC. Your plans for an indoor coop sound good to me and I wish you the best; thank you for rescuing, she’s a lucky girl!

5. PaigeAndy'schickens

Dec 22, 2017
    Northern Ohio
    Thanks all for the kind words!!! I really appreciate it. My animals mean the world to me!!!

6. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Keeping her inside, sounds like the best place til spring. Instead of newspaper, I would use cardboard, it will hold up better.

:welcome

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Crowing

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Indoor Chicken.jpg

8. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Paige :frow I'd give her a perch about 18" off the floor and would also consider deep litter method. I use it for my indoor brooders and subscribe to the theory, that if it doesn't smell fresh and earthy, you need more carbon.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    In your house? No way would I contemplate this! The dander and the smell would be my undoing. No matter how clean you keep things, that chicken dander is like a fine oily silt that covers every surface, including the vertical ones. If you don't have lung problems now, you may have by spring. What about building a chicken tractor that would be predator safe, and putting that in your coop. You can use it for her now, and use it for the chicks in the spring.

10. PaigeAndy'schickens

Dec 22, 2017
    Northern Ohio
    Do you really think it will be that bad for one chicken? I was hoping since she's a lone chicken we wouldn't have too much of a problem with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: