indoor chicken ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rainymae, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Rainymae

Rainymae New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    I am getting a pair of Old english game bantams for my daughter that were hatched in Oct. as a Christmas present . She had a OEG bantam rooster that was her bff . He rode in her bicycle basket and everything but unfortunately we had a raccoon problem that eventually got all of the bantams . I have finally found her another pair of these ( that was #1 on her christmas list ) . My laying hens are in a big coop outside and I do not think they would except 2 young small friends . I am afraid to put the bantams outdoors in the cold ( we have not been above freezing once for the past 13 days ) . Also 2 itty bitty bantams alone are just sittig ducks for the reccoon .

With all of that said can I keep them indoors until spring ? Also what sort of indoor set-up will keep them happy for atleast the next 4-5 months ? if you keep indoor chickens do you mind sharing a pic of your cage . Oh and for the record they do need to be in a cage my border collies are known chicken eaters . Also I am not intrested in diapering a chicken or mopping chicken poo off my floors .

So any advice ?

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I have a big dog crate that I place a perch in the back of. Pine shavings down with a food and water dish hanging on the front. I pick out the poo daily. I keep chickens like this that are injured or in quarantine.
    I have extra large dog crates so they have plenty of room to move around and scratch if they want. They'd do fine in the same indoor temps that you're in. I can't imagine that you'd have to supplement their heat
    in the house unless they are newly hatched chicks. They do fine indoors until the spring.

3. Rainymae

Rainymae New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    I agree they will do fine indoor without supplement heat . Since they have never been outside before I was just afraid to put them outdoors when its in the teens at night until they are older . I have had OEG bantum before and they did fine in winter outside but were raised outside . I just have not kept fully feathered chickens indoors for months at a time before . I do have a large dog crate but it is just wire bottom I will need to make some sort of tray for the bottom . I have a St.Bernard and her cage is the biggest wire dog crate I could find , she no longer uses it .

4. Rainymae

Rainymae New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    Do you think a dog crate with a perch and shavings is good ? I probably should include a nest box right ? I am hoping since we are talking about two very small chickens the dust and smell should be minimal

5. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    We have Ornamental chickens that I built an inside cage for them. But they all started out in a large dog kennel that we put chicken wire around to keep from accidental neck injuries,
    we have 2 dogs that don't pay attention to where they are running. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You're going to have some dust, not from the shavings, but from their feed. [​IMG]
    We have a lot less dust from the new cage only because it has a drawer that the poop and kicked around feed falls into.
    [​IMG]
    Good luck with your new additions, with them being inside til spring your daughter can bond with them easily. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. Rainymae

Rainymae New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    good to know that you have that many in the house and it's manageable ! Who knows if they work out to not be stinky and messy as I imagine she may beable to keep them inside long term . I was figuring they are much smaller then a big parrot and people keep them inside . I can't imagine they poop more than a big parrot .

7. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I think our Silkies will be the largest looking ones, they have all that fluff. We have a Black-Tail Buff Japanese Bantam as 1 of the inside 1's. And 2 Sultans.
    They are all happy campers with the larger cage. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by