Indoor Chickens??? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shaebird, Jul 11, 2008.

1. shaebird

shaebird New Egg

Jul 11, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Hello. I am the proud owner of 2 Rhode Island Reds that are about 2 years old, and one lonely 4 month old Auracana.

We had two Auracanas but the other one died last week from unknown causes. [​IMG]

So here is my problem: The other Auracana that is left, her name is Widow and she is VERY depressed. The other hens pick on her and don't let her hang out with them. We had a very strong bond before her friend died, but now she is EXTREMELY needy and follows me EVERYWHERE, even into the house in the morning and she sits by the door and cries when I put her out.
    She is currently sitting on my lap while I type this!

Her needy behavior is adorable, I must admit, but my roommate is very nervous about the sanity of having a chicken in the house, which is understandable.
    I wash her feet before I let her come in, but of course she is not house-broken.

I would hate to force her to stay outside and be lonely in her fragile grieving state, but I also need to respect my roommates concerns!

HELP! I need some advice! Does anyone have an indoor chicken? Is this possible?

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Ever hear of chicken diapers? Someone here has been kind enough to post a free pattern for making them and there are various sites that sell them. I would worry a little about the sanity of the chicken. They are flock animals and will eventually need to be with other chickens. I would give her a little Xtra loving for a while, but try not to separate her entirely.

3. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    My girls are inside quite a bit. I have a "big girl" brooder that I can move from room to room so the girls are still near me when I can't be holdinhg them.

4. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    She'll never learn to get along with the other chickens unless you make her. Harsh as it seems, stop taking her into the house. Make her stay in the chicken coop with the other chickens. Put food and water in a few different locations so that she can eat and drink wherever she is chased and let them duke it out. After a few weeks of drama they'll get along.

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Can you keep her in a protected environment near the other hens? That way they can get to know each other for a while without making physical contact.

I'm sorry about your lonely chicken. I have one, too. She's in the house. Now the house smells like the hippo-house at the zoo. Don't do it without diapers! [​IMG]

6. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    well since I have Audrey and really never want her to leave my living room... I am not going to be much help. Heck I am learning how to sew so I can make something to carry her around in with me.[​IMG]

7. shaebird

shaebird New Egg

Jul 11, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Thank you everyone for your replies!

One more question:

Since she has been living outside thus far, do I need to worry about getting mites, lice, parasites etc. in my house?

8. Yanna

Yanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Most mites and lice are species-specific. I don't think you need to worry.

There are some food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) threads in the forum that may be helpful to you if you're concerned that your birds may have "hitchhikers."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by