Indoor chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nitrostreak, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    SO sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I've been flailing around, looking at each section and this spot looked best ^^;

Basically, I'm curious about keeping chickens in the house. As I live with my parents and there's a strict "no pets inside" policy, this won't be anything I'm likely to try soon, but I'd like to find out as much as possible. I know some BYC'ers out there keep their chickens inside, so my question is... how do you do it?

I'll be first to tell you I'm a newbie when it comes to chickens, so I have to ask some silly questions... Is it possible to house train a chicken, or do you just have to be sure they get outside enough to relieve themselves, or is it just biting the bullet and cleaning up every little mess?

Also, do you let your chickens run around freely inside, or is it best to have crates or cages where they can stay when you're away or need to focus (work, school, whatever), and can't have curious beaks pecking at your feet?

Again, so sorry if this is the wrong area [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any advice~<3! [​IMG]

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Some of my favorite chickens come inside the house to visit. I even have one that is housebroken who comes in to lay her egg every day.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend having a chicken live in the house 24/7. Chickens need to be able to scratch in the dirt. They also need and love dirt bathing, neither of which would be possible inside. If you have a way to keep them outside and just let them in for part of the day, that would be better for them. Roaming the house could get them in all kinds of trouble, too, and I just don't think an adult chicken would be very happy living inside in a cage.

Maybe your parents will let you have a small coop outside with a couple of hens and then they could come in and visit from time to time.

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    If you go to Yahoo groups (www.groups.yahoo.com) you can join the House Chickens group and get a lot of specific information there - some of these people have quite a few chickens in the house. Some of them are inside because they are rescues or disabled or injured, or just like to be in the house. I know today it is 100 degrees outside here and ALL of mine would like to be inside!

deb g

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have had hens inside while they had health issues.Had them in a large pet cage.As long as you clean up the poop quickly it goes ok. They would miss the scratching and dust bathing,but mine did that in the pine shavings.

5. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Thank you all very much! Your replies were certainly informative C:

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair &amp; Feathers

Many folks with House Chickens also use chicken diapers so a free range HC doesn't leave poop everywhere. (You can buy them right here in the BYC Buy/Sell/Trade section.)

7. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I think it would be awesome to have indoor chickens! well I would buy a chicken diaper... They should be fine cause you don't have to deal with neighborhood animals and hawks etc. and heat! I think you would like it just make sure you watch her so she doesnt get in trouble!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by