Indoor Chicks need heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lilyrush, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Lilyrush

Lilyrush Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Western Washington
    I have 3 chicks that are almost three weeks old. If they are inside, where the temperature is kept between 68-70 how long do they need the heat lamp?

2. amnich

amnich Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Chicks need 95 degrees to start. Then reduce by five degrees per week. You should end up at about room temp.

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    They should be fine without the heat lamp in about a week. They'll start getting most of their feathers by then.

4. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    x2

5. shamrockmommy

shamrockmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    I'm a total novice and this is my first batch of chicks but I keep mine indoors as well at room temp with a heat lamp. I started at 95 the first day but they were very uncomfortable and stayed well away from the lamp. So they preferred the temp at 85 the first week. When I noticed them panting and staying away from the lamp again, I lowered it to 80 just a couple days ago... Into their 2nd week.

Youll just have to watch and see how they do.

6. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

Watch where they are in relation to the heat lamp. If they spend most of their time away from the direct heat, they no longer need it. Usually about 3-4 weeks.

The reduce heat by 5 degrees every week is a general rule. Some breeds are more frail and may require more heat for longer. My birds were brooded outside in the coop in March in Colorado, and by mid April were keeping each other warm without a heat lamp.

7. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    3-4 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by