Indoor chicks question!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by madisonboe, Feb 20, 2017.

1. madisonboe

madisonboe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2014
    Rio Linda, California
    I am totally new to the world of chickens so bear with me!
    So I currently have my two baby chicks indoors in a good sized guinea pig cage. (Their coop is in the process of being built and its cold outside) Anyways I noticed today that they have started pushing their bedding aside in the center and was wondering if anyone would know why they did that? Are they bored? Do they not like the bedding? Is it something I should worry about?
    [[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    Dust bathing Would be my guess my little guys did that

3. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    I have a chick doing that under the heat lamp, looks mostly like she is digging for crumbs while the others hog the feeder.

4. caboodleschicks

caboodleschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    South Carolina
    Don't worry, this is completely normal. All they are doing is scratching for food. This is their natural instance. I have 5 chicks and they are so normal, that when I feed them out of my hand, they scratch at the food in my hand.

Signed
    www.bootsandchickenpoop.wix.com/mysite

5. caboodleschicks

caboodleschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    South Carolina
    Don't worry, it's normal. It's their natural instance. They are just scratching for food. I have 5 chicks and they are so normal, they scratch at the food in my hand.

Signed
    CaboodlesChicks

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hello cute chicks !!
    You might want to put rubber mats or cardboard under those pine shavings, I wouldn't want them to slip on the plastic floor.

Chicks love to scratch and peck , you could give them a flat dish with sand in it , they will scratch and dig like a child at the beach[​IMG]

And yes they do get bored , my chicks played soccer with a ping pong ball all day long!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by