Indoor coop, yep I said indoor.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mpgo4th, Aug 18, 2013.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Wife says I'm crazy but I had to do it. A few nights ago my coop got broken into and the water and food got torn up. Whatever got to it pulled it off the threaded hook from under the coop. My birds free range in the day light with no problems as my large dogs chase everything else away. Night time on the other hand I'm sure something is going to get them. So today I cut some old dog kennel sections to length and welded ends on them. I have a second garage on the back side of my house that houses my mower and feed and a few other odd and end lawn care things. I installed the kennel and made a 6 foot long perch and nesting boxes. I put their food and water on bricks and put straw down for them. This will be their first night in the new "coop". I plan to leave the garage door open during the day in all weather but down at night to protect them from predators. The garage is not heated or cooled but never really gets below 40 degrees in there. Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The whole thing is 5x8 and 6 foot high. Crazy or just over protective?

2. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    Both. But I think it's cool.

3. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    Are u going to give them supervised free range time? If so I say go for it. Whatever makes you feel they r safe. I just finally put my 4 month old silkies outside 3 wks ago. Till then they were in my living room. Didn't need an alarm clock as the roos woke me up every morning at 330. Lol

4. scrambled freud

scrambled freud Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    Lebanon Ohio
    Is that a roost in there?
    If so, how do you keep it upright, like what do you have on the bottom?
    I think it's very cool. Nothing worse than losing one to a predator and an ounce of prevention...well, you know.
    I think it's great to do this before you lose one...I read all the time of the heartbreak of people on this site after they lose one, all the second guessing and regrets, etc.

5. mpgo4th

Apr 8, 2013
    They are supervised by us and a few large dogs. I'm not worried about the free range as my girls stay in the yard and come back to the coop to rest every so often. Night is when the woods come alive around here.

6. mpgo4th

Apr 8, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Yes its made out of an old 4x4 post and its tied to the kennel on both ends.

7. mpgo4th

Apr 8, 2013
    I just opened my basement door to check on them and they are all on the roost sleeping.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by