Indoor Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Drk_Wlf, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    We have a not quite full basement (I can only stand up completly in areas where there is no heater ducts or water piping) and we are planning on raising all the chicks I hatch out in said basement. I plan on having around 30 chickens living in the basement for the winter, does anyone have any good ideas for housing? We have a large-dry area that I was thinking about just gating off and puting down a bunch of wood shavings. The floor is concrete so it shouldn't be hard to clean up and in the spring after the chicks are moved out I can just bleach and powerwash the floor. Any ideas?

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Humm - [​IMG]
    A Picture might help, having a hard time seeing your "Set-Up."

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Be prepared for at least a half inch of dust (no kidding) all over the basement and on EVERYTHING. It'll also be upstairs if there are any air leaks. The world goes around a lot faster if you can raise chicks outside, especially in the spring.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  4. Drk_Wlf

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    I figured I would gate a section off, kind of like a pack and play for chickens [​IMG]

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    ok so you want 30 chickens in the house/basement for the winter? could you put a 250 watt safely heat lamp in their coop.? pictures might help us tho.

personally i would not that many chickens in the house. just saying, but if you think it might work. try it out. but i would have some sort of back up plan.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  6. Drk_Wlf

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Quote:There already is a half an inch of dust on everything [​IMG] I think I will probably invest in an air filter or five [​IMG]

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:There already is a half an inch of dust on everything [​IMG] I think I will probably invest in an air filter or five [​IMG]

If you have an outside door to and/or lots of windows in the basement, you can open all of them and use a hand blower to blow the dust out, but first buy several cheap dust masks from Home Depot and wear them.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i was looking at your "byc" page i didnt see a chicken coop? where are the birds housed now?

9. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Wow, sounds like a great winter project, but definitely have to agree. That's a lot of chickens, and that's, really, a LOT of dust!

Good luck and keep us posted.

10. Drk_Wlf

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Quote:I am at work [​IMG] but I can post pics of my basement when I get home (its a giant mess right now, the hubby needs to pick up his tools), I don't have room in the coop for that many chicks right now. I will be making soup out of some of the hens next spring. These are my replacment I am raising, plus I am hoping that with this many chicks I will end up with around 10 - 15 pullets, the roosters are dinner as soon as they get big enough. I already have one hen living in my basment; she got sick and was never welcomed back into the flock and then we got attached and couldn't "do the deed" so she is a permenant residence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by