1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indoor Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Baralak, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Call us crazy, but My wife wants an area inside the house that our little seramas can run around in... She would rather have them inside at night, and let them go into an outdoor run during the daytime.. Has anyone reading built an indoor coop for about 4 seramas before?

I would have to make this cat and dog proof. But it needs all the comforts of home.. just inside.. Any ideas?

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    well ours isnt in the house but in the garage in a small room. We had it outside but put it in the garage so we can brood in it. It has a little coop on one end
    [​IMG]

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    A few weeks ago someone had posted pics of their indoor coop inside their basement....

4. Baralak

Yes.. I saw that and wished that I had a basement... but Louisiana and it's water tables just doesn't allow us to have a basement, maybe an under ground swimming pool [​IMG]. I was thinking of using a aviary as a template, but it a little wider and not as tall. Of course with nesting boxes. Since they will more than likely be outside most days in a tractor or portable run.

5. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    I hope that you have thought about the amount of dust and dander that 4 birds will produce. It is INSANE. Plus you have cats and dogs.

Personally, I would never keep them in the house. Garage, MAYBE, but even then. I think hens do much better living outside, where they can go to sleep in peace in a coop, and not have house noises and house animals all around them.

If you do decide to do it, good luck and I'm glad it's not me! [​IMG]

aart likes this.
  6. Baralak

Lol... your preachin to the choir.. but she wants to try.. Remember we are talking about chickens that at their largest will only weigh about 20oz.. What I am pitching to her instead of an inside habitat is more of a inside "play pen." then they could come in when she wants to be around them, and back outside they go. We are about to build a deck in the back yard, that might also make a good location and satisfy her need. Being the coop will be right outside the patio door attached to the side of the patio and an attached run with stairs to the coop. We shall see. She really likes her seramas, and I must say, out of all my birds, my little serama roo and one of her pullets have the best temperment I have ever seen in a chicken. I like them all, and they each have their own traits, but Truffles and Lil coco, just for some reason, enjoy human interaction. They pace when we come close to their cage. We don't treat them much either. They are a full 6 weeks old (pics were at 4 weeks)
    Truffles
    [​IMG]
    Lil' Coco
    [​IMG]

7. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Yeah, she is nuts. No offense. [​IMG]

I LOVE my chickens, but just can not stand all that feather dust and casings flying every where all the time. I had a bird in for an HOUR and the entire floor where she was sitting was covered in bird dust. Porch sounds like a good compromise. See I think it is pointless to build it in the house, because it will last all of a few weeks. She will soon realize how much dust they produce and want them outside then you are at square one again.

I say this because this is totally the kind of thing I would pull on my husband. [​IMG]

8. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    After years of raising chickens outside I finally did it! My little serama roo is a house chicken... He has a small dog carrier in the laundry room and sleeps in there overnight. Use pine shavings in it and he doesn't smell bad at all. I let him out to watch t.v. with me and snuggle on my chest. Use a towel for him to sit on. Need to order diapers for him.. Only on this forum can I talk like this and not seem too weird..
    My hubby says I like the chicken more than him [​IMG] He is right!
    You could use a baby's pack n play for a indoor pen. The plastic bottom liner would be easy to clean up and it wouldn't look too tacky. [​IMG] For all those fancy guests that come over, you know what I mean?
    And soon the buggers will be perching on the sides watching your every move.
    My argument is that they are smaller than some parrots that people keep as pets. Besides they cannot take the harsh cold weather here in Indiana.

BeepersNChickChick likes this.
  9. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 26 chickens sort of indoors. In Florida we have "lanais" which are basically screened in porches. I have some rabbit hutches in the 20x26 lanai and hay on the floor and two doggie doors out to smaller enclosures where the chickens can dig. But everyone is right - a LOT of dust! and dirt. and the smell would bother some people. I let my chickens out in the yard in late afternoon but there are so many predators I don't leave them out for long. Then on our ranch we have several 10x10' dog kennels attached to the coop. Again, the free range plan did not work due to so many predators. Bring them in at night. Always.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would definitely build them a nice area where you can enjoy them while you are outside and can see them from inside the house. I love hanging out on the patio with mine and being able to watch them out of the windows. Once your wife sees how much they enjoy scratching around as they forage or sees them dust bathing and sunbathing all stretched out, she'll appreciate how much they love what the outdoors has to offer. Mine just adore eating grass, leafy greens, seeds and especially bugs. They are happy to forage all day long for goodies. They are practically in a trance of joy when they are scratching and digging through the leaf litter along the fence lines.

We even have a coop cam, so we can check on them inside the coop or just watch them. It's angled in a way that I can see them in their dust bath that's in the run, through the pop hole door, also.

Lots of chickens like to hang out in the house with their humans and a lot more would, if they could. Mine sure would love to come inside! If you leave a door or unscreened window open, chickens make themselves right at home. Somebody recently found theirs sitting on their couch! [​IMG]

I think you could either have a play pen or roosting area in the house. Some type of cage or aviary enclosure that they could be in would work. Seramas are really tiny.

You could also get some chicken diapers, if you wanted. They are called flight suits, for parrots, but it's the same design. Basically, it's a pouch build into a little cloth item that you strap onto a bird, that catches it's poo. Birds that wear these can wander anywhere in the house, without making a mess. That might be another way to have them in the house to visit for short periods, without living in the house.

Chickens are dustiest when they are molting and growing feathers. Those blood feathers give off a lot of dust and dander as the outer coating breaks down and the new feather unfurls. In adult birds this is more of a problem during the seasonal molt. In a young chicken, they are basically doing one long molt from the time they hatch until they are full sized and have all their adult plumage. They not only need to replace their downy feathers, they need to grow larger sized feathers to cover their larger bodies. So, most of that first year will be continuous dust and dander. That would be a really good time to have them in the house only part time, not full time.

I'm sure you'll figure out what will work for your household. You might have to experiment a little. Sometimes you need to do what makes you happy, even if it isn't what others would do. Good luck with your project. I'm sure whatever lifestyle your chickens end up living, they'll be well cared for and enjoy your company. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by