1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indoor Duck Keepers... Come Hither!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crayonsmom, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    What do you use for your duck(s) to seep in at night? What do you use for flooring/bedding? I have a three week old duckling who will probably eventually be able to live out with the other ducks, but cannot at this time. Meanwhile, We just upgraded her from a rubbermaid container to a dog crate that's about 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 feet. She's finally big enough not to squeeze through the bars. But I'm not sure what to use for flooring for her. We've been using paper towels (and making sure they don't get too slick!) but those don't do much good. Wood shavings got very messy and stinky, and Mom doesn't want me using up the towels. And in general, she complains about the smell (which is not too abd in my opinion, but it's hers that really counts). Any ideas? Are paper towels probably the best option right now?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Puppy pee pads or old towels. I use the puppy pads though.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My duckling sleeps on puppy pee pads at night and I just toss them in the morning. some use diaper harness to sleep in but I haven't done that for sleeping. He also sleeps in a crate.

4. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Oooh, puppy pads! I forgot about those. Are they pretty reasonably priced? It would definitely be easy to have something that I can just toss out, that works better than paper towels! [​IMG] I've heard of some people leaving diaper harnesses on at night too, but I don't think I want to do that either. They need some time to "air out". lol. If she wore a diaper at night she wouldn't need a crate. [​IMG]

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:Just asked the same question in a different thread. [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Theres a store here called Freds it's like a discount store, I get 50 pee pads for less than 10.00 might be able to find them cheaper at walmart. I use 2 a night.

7. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Quote:Just asked the same question in a different thread. [​IMG]

lol. How could I have missed that?! My bad. [​IMG]

8. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Quote:Awesome, thanks! I'll look around at Walmart. 2 a night isn't bad. And $10 for about a month isn't bad either. [​IMG]

9. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:I think we both posted at about the same time. [​IMG]
    At least you posted with a relevant title. I just asked the question in my post about diapers. [​IMG]

Also, depending where you are, Kmart down here sells some pretty cheap. They sell Hartz brand, it worked well for my dogs and held an amazing amount of water when my first runners were indoors.

10. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Quote:Awesome, thanks! I'll look around at Walmart. 2 a night isn't bad. And $10 for about a month isn't bad either. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by