Indoor duck tips?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kaala, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Kaala

Kaala Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    NOTE: I am not and never will be considering putting them outside, not unless staying inside starts to become detrimental to their health, it hasn't thus far, but I need help to prevent things getting that way.

So here is the situation, I hatched my ducklings with the full intent of keeping them as indoor pets, diapers and all. I don't usually leave the house unless its to go to the store, I work at home, I have quite a few other ducks outside but they are far from friendly and I don't want my babies getting bullied. I have diapers for one duck but I have three ducklings (I was planning on making my own, but I really don't have the time, so I might just buy more) all of which are two months old. I am well aware, and was aware when I hatched them that waterfowl are exactly that, waterfowl, and are attracted to water. However, no matter what I try I can't keep my carpet from getting wet. I've tried piddle pads, tarps, nothing keeps it dry long. I dont fault them, but If cleaning my carpet every day is what I'm having to do then so be it. I give them daily baths, I wash out their bed every day to make sure it stays clean, and I lay down fresh piddle pads, but I don't want to keep the carpet wet too long as carpet is known to mold.

Might anyone have any tips on how to keep the carpet dry for longer? Or is what I am doing now just the best thing to do?

Thanks for reading anyways.

PS - I've looked this up once already and I've seen a lot of comments saying 'don't keep ducks as indoor pets'. I don't want to hear it, yes its an option to put them outside, but I would worry about them far too much for it to be healthy for either me or the ducks, they're kind of an anxiety anchor. They're happy, healthy, but I just need to know if what I am doing is all I can do.

~Kaala

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I guess you already made up your mind...No tips too help you, all my ducks live outside.
    Not really sure your reason for posting? Other than wet, dirty carpets that can't be helped.

Best of luck.

3. Kaala

Kaala Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Well you see, when you're all out of ideas, you do your best to go look for more to help further your own. As they say 'no question is stupid' so I figured whats the harm in asking. This website has helped me through and through so I wasn't going to stop there.

Thanks anyways.

4. chickens really

Try tile floors or something like that? Keep them confined to a back entry area?
    Was not meaning to upset your questioning but it sounded a bit strait forward.

5. Kaala

Kaala Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Nah its fine, I just don't want the carpet molding because if it molds it'd hurt them more than it would hurt me to be honest. Highly stressed I guess.

Lacking in tile floors unfortunately, old house. But thank you! I think I'll just make them a pen to stay outside during the day and just have them in during the night I think I can part with them that long.

6. chickens really

Sounds good...They will love the chance to forage also.
    Good luck..

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are a number of Duck Forum members who keep indoor ducks. There are threads about it. Here is one https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/632070/show-off-your-house-ducks

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  8. barnababy

barnababy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    Killeen TX

Sound advice on the situation? I'd love to talk to you one-on-one early ideas back and forth people can be extremely judgemental and they like to throw in there too since knowing that they have an opposing view I don't understand why people are so rude but I feel for you and your play in a situation of my own my Android up to not be outside because the dogs as possible situation at the moment and my other three dogs are hell-bent on killing her she is and has been the sweetest thing follows me everywhere as a diaper cat beds dog beds travels in the truck I had a registered as a support animal so that I have a little bit more wiggle room in my daily activities because I don't ever leave her home or even in a separate room early when I can help it and never shut the door on her and she is being demanding and not wanting to follow me and right now I am in the process of trying to move a rather large house by myself with health problems of my own and she is having a crazy behavior issues the cleaning part I have down that that I can help you with no doubt but I'd like to hear maybe some of your experiences for

9. barnababy

barnababy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    Killeen TX
    Any updates for us?

10. MotherToMoose

MotherToMoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by