Indoor Ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmandaVirginia, Jan 30, 2015.

1. AmandaVirginia

AmandaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2015
    Clanton, Alabama
    Hey y'all! I have 3 call ducks that live outside and I'm getting another 2 call ducklings this Spring that I want to live inside with me & my 3 Yorkshire Terriers :) Show me those wonderful indoor pens/coops/beds for your beautiful indoor ducks! I'd love to see them!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You know to keep dogs away from ducks, yes? Congratulations all around!!

1 person likes this.
  3. AmandaVirginia

Jan 24, 2015
    Clanton, Alabama
    Oh no! My dogs and ducks absolutely LOVE one another! Either my dogs think they're ducks or my ducks think they're dogs! My ducks imprinted on my dog (whom is MY BABY) and still now look at her like she is their mother at almost 6 month olds!

[​IMG]
    Keeping an eye on her babies!

[​IMG]
    And, playing with her babies too! :)

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are some exceptions, but I do mention it because a number of times here we have had devastated people report their dogs hurt or killed ducklings. I know that with animals, there is no "always" or "never," and at the same time, gone is gone and done is done.

1 person likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree Amiga my dachshund had been around my flock ducks/geese/chickens all his life then one day he killed one of our ducklings, not entirely his fault the gate wasn't closed all the way so he took advantage. No way would I leave a small duckling and a dog together it can happen way to fast.

1 person likes this.
  6. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    Yes dogs either love em or have em. I have a pit bull who loves them. Had a stray run into yard attack one duck and my dog picked the stray up and carried it away from the ducks.

Amandavirginia are you talking about keeping adult ducks in the house, because that would cause an awfull lot of mess

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good for your pit bull.

8. AmandaVirginia

Jan 24, 2015
    Clanton, Alabama
    My dogs don't have a mean bone in their bodies. Besides, I always watch over my dogs when they're around my ducks. My dogs and ducks are never unsupervised. They all ADORE one another. There is such a thing as 'always' and 'never' with my dogs. They are ALWAYS loving and they would NEVER hurt anything or anyone. I know that 100%. Not only is my baby incredibly submissive and sweet, she's incredibly loving and gentle. All of me trusts all of her and has since the day she was born (my other two are her daddy and momma). And, yes indoor ducks with diapers as well as nightly bath tub time.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm glad it's working for you, after some of us have been on here long enough and heard some heart breaking stories even our own we can't help but caution others.

10. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    I must says that's very dareing. I suppose they are call ducks so shouldn't make too much mess. Will they run free around the house?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by