Indoor Ducky Pen!! (Gilberta's pen)

Kkrista123

Crowing
Dec 2, 2018
Hatboro PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone! Most of you that are reading this probably know more than you want to about Gil's life. I'll fill everyone else in though just in case you aren't familiar with Gilberta! Gil's is now 4 months old and she is a white crested, fawn and white runner mix. She has lived inside with me since she hatched and does everything with me. We spend all day together and wherever I go, she comes along. We spend a lot of time together so we have our own language figured out and we understand each other pretty well. This works perfectly for Gilberta and myself and I wouldn't change that for the world! Gil's health is always the first thing my concern is focused on. If I ever need to get a second indoor duck, I will in a heartbeat. For now though I know she's happy being the center of attention and really values having this 1 on 1 relationship with me and the hubby! She will fly next to me if I go for a short run and she will even take a shower with me. I can promise everyone, my single duck is not lonely and well cared for. She's more like my baby, I worry about her 24/7 even when I'm with her. Ok, you get it, I'm cray about my duck! Many people have asked how I make living indoors work with Gil. Just a lot of laundry. A LOT OF LAUNDRY. I try to keep her out of the diaper as much as possible because I feel she is cleaner without it on. If we go out, she'll lay on the floor of the car on a blanket or sit on the lap of whoever's on the passenger seat and they will have a blanket over them. If she's hanging out in the room, she's hanging out on another duck designated blanket. Her pen has towels and blankets on the bottom that I change out every other day. It doesn't smell because I keep it clean. There are just a lot of poops and I often have to grab paper towels to clean them up if we aren't standing on a blanket. She really likes her super fuzzy blankets though so she stays on them 99% of the time. We spend a lot of time outside and watching ducks on youtube so she can still see the normal life of a duck. She get's to visit ducks and geese at parks nearby and enjoys yelling at them and then running to the car when she's ready to leave. It is a lot of work keeping her inside but it has become something that seems so minimal to me in comparison to having my bestfriend with me all the time. She is in every way an ESA to me and I know I am her ESH! Here's pictures of her pen. When she is full grown I plan to re-do my room and make her a huge apartment across almost half of the room. For now, she just sleeps in her pen and other than that, the door is usually open so she can wonder the room. In her pen you will see her two waterers in the black container that keeps the floor from getting wet. She also has her heat light that I turn on when she asks me too. (She reaches up and hits it with her bill and quacks-then I know she's chilly and wants her light!) She also has a boot because since she was a baby she slept in her dads boot (out of her own doing). Her dad's old boot became the favorite over the stuffed animal and I swear she sleeps on the boot EVERY night. She fly's out of her pen to land on the bed and wake me up in the morning. Her food bowl is also in the corner of her pen where she is offered duck feed 24/7. She has a water bottle that get's filled with treats and makes a wonderful toy that will entertain her for hours if I need to get work done! It is really a joy having her with me all the time and I can't wait to continue making memories with her. She has been to every family event and all the family members LOVE having her there! It was practically an accident that I ended up with her, but I wouldn't ever change it for anything. I love you Gil's <3 Here's a link to Gil flying a short distance when she first learned how to fly. I don't have any more recent videos but trust me, my runner, white crested mix learned how to fly WELL!

IMG_0203.jpg IMG_0365.jpg IMG_0366.jpg IMG_0367.jpg

The phrase "lucky duck" comes to mind. Gilberta has quite the life, doesn't she? Good for both of you. Sometimes, an animal transcends being "just a pet". More than any other animals you love, they become intricately ingrained in your heart. I've had that twice -- once with an orphaned miniature goat and once with a rescued Keeshond dog. Enjoy the ride!

I love your stories about Gilberta and you. I have one similar with my Muscovy drake Opie although he doesn't live inside full time, but I am always saying to my dh who would have ever thought you could have such a special relationship with a duck. It is very special. Keep them coming @Kkrista123 I for one love hearing about ya'll. :love

We use a laundry basket for car rides with Chuck and Buck. I run the seat belt through the openings in the laundry basket and put a blanket in it. If I'm driving alone, they get the front seat, if the kids are with me, they go in the back. They prefer the front as Chuck is our navigator and has to quack out the front while Buck is content with staring at people in their cars at stoplights.

Attachments

• IMG_3717.JPG
    IMG_3717.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 60
Adorable! Whos her dad? haha

What a great story, i think your both adorable. She sounds like a smart duck

He's really not into the whole electronics, social media kind of thing. He's also not into reading (he has dyslexia). I feel Gil is probably an ESA for both of us. However, you will never hear from him! :lau He's almost as special as Gilberta!!! Here's some pictures though because Gil loves her dad!!! Sh e loves standing on his head or boot. She was going after his ear in the one because he was ignoring her for video games! IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0147.JPG IMG_0287.PNG

Last edited:
The phrase "lucky duck" comes to mind. Gilberta has quite the life, doesn't she? Good for both of you. Sometimes, an animal transcends being "just a pet". More than any other animals you love, they become intricately ingrained in your heart. I've had that twice -- once with an orphaned miniature goat and once with a rescued Keeshond dog. Enjoy the ride!
Thank you! She will always be more than a pet and yes, it's an amazing feeling!

I love your stories about Gilberta and you. I have one similar with my Muscovy drake Opie although he doesn't live inside full time, but I am always saying to my dh who would have ever thought you could have such a special relationship with a duck. It is very special. Keep them coming @Kkrista123 I for one love hearing about ya'll. :love
thank you, I have a lot more stories and pictures!!! I have all these videos of her being funny. I need to start a "catch everyone up on the pictures of Gil growing up" thread. She was a cute baby! I have videos of us hair drying her when she was tiny and she was loving it. Someday soon I'll get all the adorable pics onto a thread!!!!!

We use a laundry basket for car rides with Chuck and Buck. I run the seat belt through the openings in the laundry basket and put a blanket in it. If I'm driving alone, they get the front seat, if the kids are with me, they go in the back. They prefer the front as Chuck is our navigator and has to quack out the front while Buck is content with staring at people in their cars at stoplights.
That's really smart. If it's a long ride we bring a big black tupperware container and she lays in it. I just know she doesn't prefer it so I usually make a net around her with the blanket on the floor and I tuck it down so she doesn't fall around when we make turns. If someone's in the passenger seat though, no luck with anything. She WILL be on the legs of whoever's in the passenger seat. She doesn't care if she's flying across the car to get there!

Back
Top Bottom