1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

indoor gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by crazybirdlady79, Mar 13, 2016.

1. crazybirdlady79

crazybirdlady79 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Brunswick, Ohio
    Anyone here garden in the colder months indoors to get their fix? I have 3 hydroponic systems. I have 2 going at the moment until I can tend to my outside garden.[​IMG]

2. ChickityChina

ChickityChina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Ohh I would love to do this over winter! Mostly for lettuce and herbs. Unfortunately, the only plants I have indoors at the moment are the seedlings I am starting for my outdoor garden.

The setup you have looks great for herbs. Do I see basil, cilantro, and dill maybe?

3. crazybirdlady79

Mar 12, 2016
    Brunswick, Ohio

The one on the right has dill, cilantro, parsley, thyme , mint and basil in it. It grows like crazy even how much I've cut off/used/dried so far. The one on the right is tomatoes but haven't flowered yet. I bought the systems used off eBay fairly cheap ($30-40 ea). I heard they area great for lettuce. They even sell a seed pod lettuce kit for it. I as well just started seeds for outdoor garden. Last year I used one as a seed starter for the outdoor garden and it worked pretty well too

4. ChickityChina

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Very nice! Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind setting up a couple like that in the kitchen. I can't imagine growing tomatoes in the kitchen since I am used to my 8 foot tall tomato plants lol. But I thought I did see a bloom on the tomato plant on the right? Very cool!

5. crazybirdlady79

Mar 12, 2016
    Brunswick, Ohio
    The tomatoes are from their kit and supposedly hybrid that stay small if you keep trimming them. I just did a double take. No blooms yet :- (

6. ChickityChina

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Oh bummer. Must have been light shining through a leaf then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by