Indoor House Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, May 10, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I know Nettie and a few others have them. I have come to the conclusion to keep an inside duck because of a dog attack (rehomed the dog for multiple reasons) incident that left my young snowy mallard friendless. I started taking him (dont actually know the gender) with me around the house and he seems to enjoy following me around and cuddling with me. I have not purchased a ducky diaper yet but I plan to once he is ready for an adult size. my main question is "home" does everyone provide for their indoor ducks? Are they diapered most of the day? part of the day? Where do they sleep? I am expecting two silky ducks that i think i might turn into inside ducks as well. Any advice is appreciated!

2. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    I have 3 indoor ducks. 1 is a duckling, 1 has been indoors ever since 2006 when she hatched, and Will has been indoors most of the time since he hatched in 2007.
    By indoor I don't mean 24/7 though. My bedroom is where they sleep and they go outdoors in the daytime in a secure pen unless they're following me around the yard while I'm doing things. I bring them in at night, if the weather is bad, no one is home, if they want to be brought in etc. So they kinda go in and out during the day.

I don't use diaper harnesses, though I did buy one for Dill years ago and just never ended up using it very much. I have laminate flooring and I use newspaper part of the time (especially at night, since they tend to stay in mostly one place). I am buying some diaper harnesses from Nettie soon too for Scout and Dill will be using her goosemother diaper harness. Not sure if I'll have Will wear one.. probably will. I hope to have more indoor ducks and possibly chickens in the future. They probably won't be spending as much time as my 3 are allowed though...depends on how messy they are. I could handle a call duck and bantam chicken for sure.

This reminds me- has anyone used the chicken harnesses sold on my pet chicken? Just curious how they are.

3. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I have indoor ducks also and they both wear diapers right now when they are out with me but as soon as they are full grown i will be ordering better ones from nettie. Nettie actually just gave me so great indoor pen ideas for me to keep them while i am at work. I modified her idea that she sent me because i only have 2 ducks verses i think she has 6. If you need some ideas for pens PM nettie cause im sure she is more than willing to help you on that or I can share the one i just made for less ducks lol. They also sleep in their pen right now to becuase their diapers do not last them all night but once they are grown i do plan on trying to let them stay in the room with me all night ans see home they do.

hope this helps and good luck! [​IMG]

4. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I am a stay at home mom so I am home most of the time. I am thinking about having them out with me (diapered) most of the day and then have them go to bed in some sort of pen/crate. Maybe a big dog crate?

5. T Hi

T Hi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    We have 5 adult runner ducks outside...... and then there is Daffy.........(she doesn't know she is a duck!)

[​IMG]

We have a 65 gallon rubbermaid tub that she stays in while we are gone. We line it with puppy pads then a layer of white shavings. She hangs out in the kitchen alot. (linoleum) When she wants to wander the rest of the house she wears her diaper. (from Nettie) It's Awesome!! She likes to hang out with our black lab and nibble on his tail. They both beg for peas equally as bad!

I love my ducks that are outside..... but Daffy is just another part of the family....... my Grand-duck!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by