Indoor pet banty owners?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrs1885, Feb 16, 2014.

1. mrs1885

mrs1885 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Van Buren Co, TN
    We've got our laying girls outside and our rooster. Adore them. Love watching them. Having fresh eggs is wonderful. But I'm so hooked on these tiny breeds of chickens and I've been kicking around bringing a couple home. Before doing something I'll regret though, I'd like info from anyone that indoor chickens.

I'm torn between Silver Sebrights (I think they're stunning) and Seramas because they're just SO tiny. Seramas are available locally. The Sebrights would have to be ordered, but we've got a farm that places orders each year and they said they'd add in what we want if we choose to go that route.

If we do this, we want chickens that are very social. The plan is for them to be out with us all day. We're both retired and spend all day at home, very seldom leaving for more than a few hours. We'd have them caged while we're gone and when we sleep. We do have dogs and cats, but they're used to the chickens outside and have never caused a problem or even seemed interested in them. Of course we'd never leave them unsupervised.

I guess my biggest concern is the mess. I saw you can get diapers for them and we'd definitely have to do that. But someone said the dust from them is horrendous and will cover everything in the house. Hubby has COPD so it is a concern. I'd have to keep their cage in the library or den or great room instead of our bedroom. But with their cage in another room, or a couple rooms away, they'd still be personally with us, so would the dust still be really bad?

If anyone has indoor chickens I'd love to hear anything you can tell me, good or bad. I figure I've got a couple months before I make a final decision.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,i have indoor chickens,silkies in fact. Never has dust or smell been a problem, i have converted a mudroom into their coop and clean it daily. My main reason for doing this was the severe cold i have in Manitoba(we have had with wind chills -52C,too cold for my silkies),my birds are very docile/sweet hens and roosters. They love to be held and will follow me around,chicken diapers are fantastic. Yes i have roosters inside also,no crowing is not an issue. They crow at the same time every day, 6am when i get up and 7am when my kids wake up for school. They are consistent on this time schedule.

In the summer/fall they are outside,but if it is very hot,they come inside with A/C(my other girls do also) I only have a small flock of ten,so i am able to do this.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  3. Cluckincanadian

Cluckincanadian Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    western Manitoba
    Ten chicks what part of manitoba are you in? I am near Shilo

4. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Gimli area.

5. mrs1885

mrs1885 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Van Buren Co, TN
    Thank you.

What about numbers? I thought of getting just one but someone said that they need to be in groups of at least three. Is that true?

Anyone have thoughts on breed? I'm torn between Silver Sebrights which the feed store will order for me or Seramas, which are bred locally.

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Three is recommended in case one dies,two is great for company as they are very social animals,but so are other types of birds and most people only keep one parrot/budgie,etc. and they do just fine as they tend to view their humans as flock mates. If you have time to spend with them,then one should be fine,if not two would be best.

Seramas are tiny birds and many have them as house pets.

7. Cluckincanadian

Cluckincanadian Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    western Manitoba
    Where can they be bought in Manitoba?

8. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Go to "Chickens for WinnipEGGers" facebook page,i'm sure i saw a posting for seramas a couple of months ago or ask if anyone has them to sell. Silkies are another breed that is very small,they are very docile/friendly sweet birds plus their feathers look like fur,almost like kittens. I have white silkies and love this breed,i also have orpingtons which are a large breed,but are like puppy dogs they follow me everywhere and love to be held.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by