Indoor pet duck

Sally the duck

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2020
I was speaking to a member about his indoor pet duck and cannot find the thread. I have a 3 month old black Swedish female that lives inside with us. I don’t think she is getting enough attention with us as we have things going on, and she hates her diaper. I cannot have another duck, her brood mates died from a parasite. Any suggestions on what to do?

Try giving her a mirror so that she can 'talk' to herself. Ideally a companion would be best.
Thank you! I wish I could get a companion for her, that was the original plan, but it didn’t work out. I would be open to giving her to a home with other indoor ducks but it would break my heart. I just want her to be happy.

i keep mine indoors too. having just one though is cruel and shouldn’t be done. ducks need another duck as a friend
She has been really happy with being with us and our dog nonstop, but as I am able to get back to work I can’t have her with me constantly and it’s breaking my heart. I never intended to have just one but sadly found out I am highly allergic to duck feces so I can’t bring another duck in the house. I want to do what is best for her.

Why not have her live outside with friends? You could probably find someone willing to clean the pen once a week and deep clean every few months for some extra bucks
I could probably get away with having one more but the neighborhood I live in has a no farm animals law. I could turn my dog house into a pen, my dog doesn’t use it.... That’s not a bad idea. But would it be too cold for just two ducks in Missouri winters?

I could probably get away with having one more but the neighborhood I live in has a no farm animals law. I could turn my dog house into a pen, my dog doesn’t use it.... That’s not a bad idea. But would it be too cold for just two ducks in Missouri winters?
Birds keep themselves warm, not each other. They just need somewhere dry and not drafty

Back
Top Bottom