1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indoor Silkie?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kherokee, Mar 18, 2016.

1. kherokee

kherokee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    My family bought me a Silkie chick as a present after my beloved Silkie roo died chasing a fox away from my flock. She was too young to join my flock when I first had her so I kept her in my room with food and water and pillows and cuddles.

Now that she's bigger (maybe 3-4 months?) I wanted to integrate her into my flock slowly, starting with my four Jersey Giant chicks and my Serama broody...Nothing so far has gone as planned. I think I may have broken a chicken :hit She has no taste for free range and hides in the corner while the JG babies dust bathe and hop right into the grass - even as incubator babies! She hates all weather types and speaks less chicken then me! She follows the babies around but gets pecked on and has no idea what the pecking order is so she sits there like a little mop and takes it which worries me. At night I've tried everything to get her to sleep with the rest of the chicks in my basement "nursery", even with pillows, but every night I find her crammed into odd corners and back walls far from the others.

I wanted an indoor chicken pet, but she makes me so sad. I'd get her a diaper and bring her back to my room but it can't be good for her mentally or physically im sure...right? As it is she spend so much time sleeping in my blankets that after a couple minutes of following the babies she'll have to lay down and nap. I almost thought she was sick with the amount of laying down and sleeping she does but I think she's just a shy, pampered little nugget.

I need some advice about what to do! Do I keep trying even though she sits alone all day or do I wrap her in a diaper and call her baby? :lol:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It might help to try to bond her to one chick, pick out an easy going one, and putting them together, you are just going to have to stay out of it and hope she starts to see herself as a chicken, another option is to make her a comfortable cage next to the others where she can watch them and be with them and hopefully starts to want to join them, she is just frightened right now and unfortunately has bonded on you too much. If nothing works than down the road after she matures perhaps letting her hatch some chicks might help.

1 person likes this.
  3. kherokee

kherokee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut

Hopelessly, my entire flock has no intrest in her. She gets attacked by the flock rooster so sadly he's leaving tomorrow (he's violent to all of the hens). She picks a corner and stays in it and wont move. I brought her inside today with her own food and water and shes been eating/drinking nonstop so she hasen't been eating normally in quite some time. Im hoping when my roo gets booted tomorrow, she'll open up a little more. I have a Serama roo who's half her size so he shouldnt be any trouble. *crossing my fingers!*

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Good idea to get rid of a mean rooster, he should take care of them and protect them. Hopefully the little guy will be better.

5. kendradillon

kendradillon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

awww well if u make her an indoor girl can help u get in contact with someone who makes diapers :) my boy Bird is an indoor boy he only has one wing

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by