1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indroducing baby chicks to each other. different ages

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilchicky123, Apr 14, 2016.

1. lilchicky123

lilchicky123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    I have 3- 3 week old baby silky chicks, And in a week I will be getting 3 baby Americana's. Will the older ones be okay with the newer chicks? Please help!! :)

2. lilchicky123

lilchicky123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The age and size difference will be too great for you do be able to put them together right away.

You can, however, let them live together with a safety barrier, where they are able to see one another through a mesh screen. I suggest brooding all together in your coop rather than in a box in the house. See my article linked below on outdoor brooding under "Articles".

While your four-week olds will be requiring little to no heat by the time you get the new chicks you can solve the problem of how to heat your new babies without over-exposing the others to too much heat by brooding the new ones under the heating pad system. That way, only the young ones will be exposed to the heat.

You can read how to set up the frame for the heating pad and how it works on the thread on this forum "Mama Heating Pad for the Brooder".

By the time the new chicks are around three weeks old, they will probably be able to handle integration with the older chicks with little to no conflict since they will have been used to one another for that period. It's when chicks are newly introduced to each other as strangers that problems typically arise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by