1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Inducing broodiness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moodlymoo, Sep 14, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Is there a way? I would like to order some eggs next year and wanted to have one of my hens brood them. Is there a way to do this if none of my hens are broody?

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I don't believe there is a way to induce broodiness, unfortunately!

3. SpunkyChicken

SpunkyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Your best bet would be to raise a breed that is known for going broody. My cochins do it ALL the time... of course it sucks because I don't need them to incubate eggs for me, and they're not laying at all during that time!

4. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Some breeds are noted for going broody. What breeds do you have?

Last year, my old chicken tractor had a community nest. I had 7 broody hens for the year The chickens moved into a regular shed style coop last fall. I used rubbermaid totes on the floor for nest boxes. I have been having non-stop broodies since late winter. Quite a few of them have been broody 3-4 times. I currently have 3 broodies sitting on golf balls -- a Jersey Giant who is on her 4th time this year, a Barred Holland for her 1st for the year -- but was broody last year, and an Amerucauna for her 1st time ever. A leghorn x Austalorp is still with her chicks that she brooded. The same JG as above and a leghorn x EE were the other incubating hens for that batch. I don't have enough room to let every broody raise chicks.

It helps to have breeds that will go broody easily. A good nesting set up is somewhat important and I find that leaving a large number of eggs in the nest encourages hens to become broody.

Dale-Ann

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Leaving eggs in the egg boxes, whether real or fake may encourage them, but , as broodiness relates to a hormonal change, it cannot be guaranteed.

I keep Brahmas and they are also a very broody lot. I have broodies for about 8 months of the year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by