Industrial processing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lfoose, May 30, 2008.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Does anyone know how the 'big guys' at the processing plants kill the chickens?

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

hang them upside down and have a automatic throat cutter is what im guessing.

3. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Hang upside down, electric shock to keep them immobile, slit their throats, then dunk them in the hot water bath.

At least that's how Pamela Anderson explains it.

4. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Pamela Anderson? Since when did she do any work?

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I've seen videos, but I don't know how current they are. In the clip I saw, they are suspended from their legs on a conveyor belt type thing. A mechanical device removes the head entirely and they bleed out as the converyor moves along. They were automatically scalded, then a worker placed them in pluckers. At least that's the best I can remember.

6. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Quote:It was really meant as a joke reference. She narrates a graphic video explaining the "cruelty" of the broiler industry. I won't link to it here, but you can Google: Pamela Anderson "Kentucky Fried Cruelty". It's obviously not in favor of factory farming, but most of it, I found laughable. "They grow up without mothers." Oh, the horror! ;-) Other parts provided me with more incentive to raise my own.

7. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Well I watched it...

I can appreciate what she is trying to do but the opinion of movie stars never impressed me much.

My DH teases that our chickens are treated better than he is. I have run across people that are leary of my eggs and feel that the store ones are 'safer' or 'healthier'. But once I go into explaining how the chickens for the store bought eggs are kept and raised and then show them my chickens, they change their minds pretty quickly.

8. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    We just watched a video on this in class. They hang them upside down, stun them electrically, then a blade cuts their throats. It's basically the same procedure that's used on other species.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by