ineed an eggspert

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobthebunny, Aug 2, 2014.

1. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    I have 6 hens 2 are laying one I know is but cant find the eggs. I've searched high and low. I would keep her in the coop all day but she makes me feel so guilty I cant. I have 8 nice and dark and cozy boxes. I replaced the hay In them, nothing. I gave her privacy and put all the other hens outside, nothing. Make sure they have a lot of nice clean water a lot of layer food, nothing. She is a road island red.
    Thanks

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Have you tried putting golf balls in the nest boxes?

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    this is what i have done before. except i didn't use real golf balls. they sell plastic ones in the golf section that are way cheaper then real ones. so thats what i used.

4. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    I use fake ceramic eggs. Some of them get it some don't.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can't micro manage when a hen lays....but you can kind of macro manage where they lay.

If you're free ranging, you will have to, from time to time, re-home them to the coop and nests....and you do that by keeping them cooped up for a few days to a few weeks..all day and night, or at least until mid afternoons.

Don't feel guilty, be the alpha chicken...sure, they'll not be pleased to be cooped up when used to having free run, but they'll get over it if you will.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by