inexpensive, but effective, run materials?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by frankenchick, Dec 20, 2009.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I tried hanging up CDs, but found my beloved Sassy Pants dead just around the corner of the coop. [​IMG] I'm going to have to make a covered run or keep them indoors.

I have a frame from a big Shelter Logic storage unit that I scavenged from the neighbors' burn pit. The Q is what to cover it with. It's going to have to be the most economical (but effective) option I can get because we just had to replace an underinsured vehicle and funds are running very low.

Another Q: how do I bury some of the fence when the ground is frozen? Is there a machine that can dig a trench? Or will that be an issue if digging is that difficult?

ETA: this probably should've been posted on Construction thread; sorry.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    There is a thing called a "ditchwitch" that is a trencher. I use what is called Deer Netting, it is a poly webbing, costs $20 or so for a 7' x 100' roll for run tops. It only works against birds on the run top. It is not something that will keep coons or possums out. On the other hand, you can wad some up around the bottom of your fences and it will help trap snakes.

3. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    Or you could use wire as an "apron" around your run, that way you don't have to bury it really...I think it works pretty well.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Or you could use wire as an "apron" around your run, that way you don't have to bury it really...I think it works pretty well.

There's the best answer​

5. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    thanks. [​IMG]

6. CAMOCLUCKS

CAMOCLUCKS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    St. Elmo, Illinois
    we use old tin around the bottom of the pen so it is solid and keeps baby chicks in as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by