inexpensive coop & run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by snowchicks, Apr 15, 2012.

1. snowchicks

snowchicks New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    G.J. Colorado
    So, never doing this before I set out to build a chicken coop and run. I chose to use a corner in my gardening shed. The run would be between the shed and the neighbors fence.
    Before I began I did my research, thus finding this great site.
    What started out as "no big deal" is now consuming my every weekend and I simply can't get enough.
    It a inexpensive way to be creative and learn. I never thought owning chickens would be so rewarding.

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Im right there with you on that. I knew having chickens would be neat and I wanted the fresh eggs and my kids to have a different veiw in life so I brought a little bit of the country farming to our lives. And we Love it. Im in love with my chickens who were bought originally to be for eggs and food(dont think thatll happen with these girls) I love the time and work we put into it all. I now cant imagine our lifestyle without them and we are still way far off from our first egg. That day will be so exciting. Im also so glad to have found this site I have learned a lot even after the tons of books ive read through. Theres nothing better then listening to peoples personal experiences and opinion.

3. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    I understand what you mean when you say it quickly changed from "no big deal" to a time consuming hobby. Our chicks are still in the brooder, but I'm trying to figure out what type of coop we want and learning all I can about chicken care. It does seem like it will be a rewarding, long-term hobby. The funny thing is that I started this journey just so my children could watch some chicks grow. The plan was for all of them to go to my in-law's farm when they were ready to go to a coop. Funny how quickly things change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by